Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the front cylinder wasn't firing, the rear was.
took carbs off and cleaned, now front cylinder is firing but the rear isn't.
anyone heard of this happening.

thanks for your time and any information...peace

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
.....your pilot jets are probably clogged make sure all the little holes are open.
Assuming that it has a manual choke, does it smooth out after it has run for a minute and you put the choke partly ON ?
Does it smooth out if you open the throttle a bit so that it speeds up ?
If the carbs are identical, maybe you switched them when putting back on ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Assuming that it has a manual choke, does it smooth out after it has run for a minute and you put the choke partly ON ?
Does it smooth out if you open the throttle a bit so that it speeds up ?
If the carbs are identical, maybe you switched them when putting back on ??
it idles ok with choke and without, when i start giving it gas it begins to sputter. after i get rpm's up it smooths out.
when riding once i open the throttle it smooths out and takes off, feels right.
don't go far just up the road and back. oh yea the the exaust on rear cylinder gets warm but not really hot.
the carbs only go on one way.
thanks very much for the reply...peace

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
OK, given that better description of the problem..............
I suggest a healthy dose (two OZ per gallon of fuel) of Berrymans B12 chemtool in the gas and then run it a few times over a few days.
Run long enough to get it warmed up good.
You can get the cleaner into the carbs quicker by draining the bowls.

Does it have the stock air box and filter on it when you are "testing" ? That can be important.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Yes^ sounds like the idle circuit of the offending carb is blocked. Wouldnt worry about why it seems to have swapped cylinders...probably both were semi blocked and now one cleared and the other clogged up worse...might be due to draining the fuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, given that better description of the problem..............
I suggest a healthy dose (two OZ per gallon of fuel) of Berrymans B12 chemtool in the gas and then run it a few times over a few days.
Run long enough to get it warmed up good.
You can get the cleaner into the carbs quicker by draining the bowls.

Does it have the stock air box and filter on it when you are "testing" ? That can be important.

yes still has stock air box and filter.

thanks again for info...peace

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes^ sounds like the idle circuit of the offending carb is blocked. Wouldnt worry about why it seems to have swapped cylinders...probably both were semi blocked and now one cleared and the other clogged up worse...might be due to draining the fuel.
thanks, that sounds logical.

thanks for your time and info...peace

·
Registered
196 Posts
if you can ride it berrymans might help.it has to be flowing thru to have a cleaning effect.pull the carbs and take carb cleaner and squirt it thru the pilot jet passage you should see it squirting into the venturi. hold the jet up to a bright light and see thru the small holes in the side and especially thru longways.i think the pilot jet and mixture screws share the same passages so remove them and blow cleaner thru.when you install the carbs put a little soap around the lip to help slide in.they can be difficult.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts