Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please file complaints about the drive shaft issues

I don't know if you still own your bike, but i am trying to get a class action suit or recall can you please file a complaint with the nhtsb & your attorney general office? I have been quoted $3,000-$4,000 for repairs also. I called this company and they don't care! They refuse to help saying its outdated & i am not the original owner. Nhtsb said we all need to file. Please call and file.

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
Laura......slow down a bit please.
I just deleted 3 of your duplicated posts.

This thread you are posting in hasn't had any activity in a bit over 3 years.
Your plea might be more effective if you start a new thread of your own.

I wish you luck but warranties are not forever and if you have not actually been injured by this, your time and money are probably just being wasted.
Get rid of the bike and move on. Just my opinion.
FIRST you need to consult a lawyer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I bought a new 2006 v-star 1100 and one day after Rolling Thunder in DC I left off the throttle and got "the Noise". Only 18,000 miles. Turned around and drove home (only 2 miles) took it to local dealer. Said, $3,000.00 for a total rebuild but he would give me $500 on a trade. What an ass. Sad but true. My first Yamaha was a 650 Special two stroke. My x and I bought 2 new 2006 v-stars, hers 650 mine 1100. Always heated garage & serviced. Ran like champs. NOW SITTING UNDER A CANOPY! Wondering like all the others who went thru this.....what to do. I am going to look for a local mechanic. I did no damage yet cuz I shut her down early. Maybe just tighten and be able to go. Since this thread is old, Any additional comments? chuck

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
Are you saying that this is a drive shaft problem ?
If so, you should be able to get that fixed for a LOT less than $3K.
By all means, check with some different shops.

I am not really familiar with the Vstar shafts but similar problem with Suzuki models just required a good cleaning and fresh lube IF the problem was caught early enough.

And if this is not a shaft problem but an internal engine fault, then we should move your post to a new thread.

·
Registered
192 Posts
sorry to hear about you getting shafted. someone further up posted about drilling and installing a hardened bolt,thats been around for awhile you could find out by google

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if you still own your bike, but i am trying to get a class action suit or recall can you please file a complaint with the nhtsb & your attorney general office? I have been quoted $3,000-$4,000 for repairs also. I called this company and they don't care! They refuse to help saying its outdated & i am not the original owner. Nhtsb said we all need to file. Please call and file.
hey there, i am having the same problem.. u have filed a complaint with the nhtsb also, what other options can we take to make this problem known and be addressed, evidently i bought mine with a broken mid shaft bolt and didnt know it since it was my first cruiser and i didnt know it wasnt suppose to make that noise... the tap bolt method works as i hear but not many people do this procedure. shall i write yamaha also? wish they had an email address handy but i will send thru the maill since a phonecall will do no good they will just brush u off and call it a day....

·
Registered
2 Posts
i know its been a while and dont know if this thread is still active but how did the tap bolt method work, was it a timely repair, and how is it holding up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a '06 1100, test rode it in the hood (under 45). not til last night did I take it on the Hwy....got a vibration that starts at 65 and dont go away. Fearing the worst right now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just bought a '06 1100, test rode it in the hood (under 45). not til last night did I take it on the Hwy....got a vibration that starts at 65 and dont go away. Fearing the worst right now.
a quick way to check is remove the left cover then remove the speed sensor you can see the end of the shaft thru the hole. if the nut is still on you should be able to see one or two threads showing.

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
Have you ever ridden a V-twin before ?
In my experience most of them start showing some vibration around 65-70, some more than others.
Sometime a good tune up will help and sometimes not. Usually not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I have an XVS1100 (2007) and had the nut shear off the middle drive, my local garage took out the nut and put it back together and told me it's fine to ride without it, fixing it would cost £800.
Does anyone know if it is really fine to still ride, it still makes the whinning noise when i release the throttle so i'm not convinced it's safe to keep riding.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi All,

I have an XVS1100 (2007) and had the nut shear off the middle drive, my local garage took out the nut and put it back together and told me it's fine to ride without it, fixing it would cost £800.
Does anyone know if it is really fine to still ride, it still makes the whinning noise when i release the throttle so i'm not convinced it's safe to keep riding.

Thanks

Dave
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/repairs/middle-drive-shaft this will give you info of whats involved. if its making noise its bad and it could lock up the rear wheel

21 - 37 of 37 Posts