Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help! I bought a 2007 yamaha vstar and there’s no ignition switch into it. I tried to connect the red and brown wire and it switched on. Engine cranks but there’s no spark and also noticed that the fuel pump doesn’t turn on or does it supposed to be? I already checked side stand switch, neutral switch, kill switch, fuses, stator, ignition coils, battery is good, solenoid, fuel pump starts when i connect directly to a 12v, relays are good. The only thing I haven’t checked is the ecu which i find complicated. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? Thanks

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I would suggest getting the correct ignition switch....even one from a wreckers with key may work. Then you can check all of the issues you have. The fuel pump should prime when the ignition is connected I suspect the lack of switch may be the issue here since the ecu needs a key with a chip that communicates with the ecu to prevent theft.... having said that another keyed ignition may not work with the ecu something you will need to find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest getting the correct ignition switch....even one from a wreckers with key may work. Then you can check all of the issues you have. The fuel pump should prime when the ignition is connected I suspect the lack of switch may be the issue here since the ecu needs a key with a chip that communicates with the ecu to prevent theft.... having said that another keyed ignition may not work with the ecu something you will need to find out.
Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice.
Can you please tell me where to plug this the one on the picture i shared

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
You need a wiring diagram...that plug looks like it could be an ignition socket ergo the amount of pins but without the wiring diagram its not possible to be sure. You may be able to track where it goes by undoing those cable ties which are not a factory item by the look of things which throws that wiring into suspicion imo.

The socket may even be an unused one for a different model which uses a similar wiring harness. If you get an ignition switch it may become apparent where that socket plugs in. Also with the ignition circuit energised is there power to it?....having said this though you may not be getting the proper connections by just connecting what appear to be the ignition wires together.

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts