Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting problem. My vstar was sitting for a while. I got a brand new battery and put in new fuses. Now the bike will crank but won't start and the gauges and lights won't turn off unless I disconnect the battery or the main fuse. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
Welcome.
I think you need to let it sit for a couple of minutes after turning it OFF to see if the lights will time out; they do on some models.

Then.....what year and model Vstar is it ? Not that I know the differences but somebody should.

Did you completely charge your new battery ?
Does it have plenty of gas in it ? Don't assume.

How long is "a while" ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2000 vstar 650. I let it sit for a month and I got a new battery, it tested 100%. I then found that the main fuse was blown, so I replaced that, of course same problem. So I replaced the solenoid and that as well did not work. I think that there might be a short somewhere in the wiring. I am of course open to listening to any solutions. Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
i would clean the inside of the ignition switch sounds like it's stuck.something safe for wires. then get a multi tester and trace the start wire from the starter backwards.

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
You either need to:
Get a meter and actually test what is happening.
OR
Take it to a shop.
Replacing parts based only on a guess is NOT a good technique.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. I don't want to get into a mess I'm not going to be able to get out of. I'm calling a shop today and I'll post what the problem was incase anyone else has this problem

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I would suggest the ignition switch is faulty allowing the lights to stay on etc...this is supported by the fact it can turn over without the key. But this is all moot as you are taking it in....good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it was the ignition switch. A shop tried to charge me $900 for the repair so I will be doing it on my own

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Lets face it an ignition switch is simply a switch that operates using a key. If you could get a switch that had all the connections and positions as the original one you could use that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts