Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im want to know if i could install a dual fire coil on my bike. would it work? i do not know how to figure out if one is compression while the other is exhausting and vice versa. I dont know if it would work. Sorry if its a nubish question.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
NO, if it wasn't designed for that engine, likely it would not work.
If your bike is running good, I suggest that you NOT mess with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO, if it wasn't designed for that engine, likely it would not work.
If your bike is running good, I suggest that you NOT mess with it.
it has twin coils but may still be a twin fire system. my bike fires on the rear cylinder first then after a few seconds the front catches up. it did this while stock, and still does it after re-jetted for pipes and pods. both carbs pull the same vac and the rear cyl has slightly lower compression. bike has 14k miles.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
my bike fires on the rear cylinder first then after a few seconds the front catches up. it did this while stock, and still does it after re-jetted for pipes and pods.
Well so much for not messing with it. :rolleyes:

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.
If only one cylinder is firing when cold after first starting, that isn't necessarily a spark problem
In fact, it is more likely to be a fuel problem......and the mods that you did will only make it worse.

Try double the recommended amount of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas for a while.
Your idle jets might be partially plugged......and those aren't changeable.
Note: No you can NOT substitute a different carb cleaner; especially not SeaFoam.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well so much for not messing with it. :rolleyes:

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.
If only one cylinder is firing when cold after first starting, that isn't necessarily a spark problem
In fact, it is more likely to be a fuel problem......and the mods that you did will only make it worse.

Try double the recommended amount of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas for a while.
Your idle jets might be partially plugged......and those aren't changeable.
Note: No you can NOT substitute a different carb cleaner; especially not SeaFoam.
so your saying something is in one of the idle jets. I rebuilt the carbs when i got it and it ran better. i rebuilt the carbs when it was stock because it had this problem, modifying the bike did not make it any worse or better. when i rebuilt the carbs i cleaned all the ports out. spraying a bit of carb cleaner, letting it sit then spraying air through it. only thing i didnt replace was the cv diaphragm and the enrichment diaphragm on the side of the carbs. ive had them totally disassembled. and slides have been set so they draw the same. Modifying it is not what i was asking. the bike is mine and i will do to it what i want. not asking what you like bub. its a pre existing condition. the fun of having something is making it into what i like.

ok ill go through my starting procedure. half choke and turn the idle up a bit. It immediately starts and runs on the rear cyl. i lock my throttle (cruise) and make it so it idles around 1k. then as i back the choke off the front cyl starts firing with a puff of smoke. then i let it idle there till it warms up. when the idle picks up by itself i disengage my throttle lock and its at a steady 1k. i only lower my idle screw after its hot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base - 1 New Owner "MUST READ" Section idle should be 950 to 1050 kinda high. if its to low the oil doesn't get to the valve train.plugs should be light almost white from ethinol. you may have a partial blocked pilot jet.
so probably have it set a bit rich. i had the plugs almost white (40mpg) but was told its a bit too lean. i get about 35 how its set now. it would only decel pop from the rear cylinder. i recall replacing the mains and the pilots. maybe something is in the passage? i replaced every oring and seal in these carbs. i was a bit short on cash at the time so i didnt replace the enrichner diaphragm. it adds fuel on decel from what i gather. and the cv boots looked perfect. even set the float hight.

·
Registered
230 Posts
you should be getting 45mpg. pilots 17.5 or 20. mains 150. screws about 3.5 out and 2 shims on the needle. .. double check your work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you should be getting 45mpg. pilots 17.5 or 20. mains 150. screws about 3.5 out and 2 shims on the needle. .. double check your work.
that would explain the hesitant front cyl at idle.have to look at the jets in my box to see whats missing. could be i have an extra shim. thanks. that is the help im looking for. The how dare you modify something made me chuckle. Heck my car is tuned and i dont even own it yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
so your saying something is in one of the idle jets.
Maybe.
For the second time, the idle "circuit" does not have a "jet" that can be replaced and most of that path can't be manually cleaned either because it is too small. You can tear it apart a hundred times and that won't change.

Then......your "puff of smoke" might indicate that raw fuel is leaking into that cylinder when the engine is off and it has to run a few seconds to pump that out. Might.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
The how dare you modify something made me chuckle.
I didn't say that.
The fact IS that many amateurs who think they are going to "soup up" their vehicle end up making it worse instead of better.
And loud pipes are obnoxious and illegal.
Chuckle all you want.
I don't think it is the least bit funny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts