Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an exceptionally clean 99 V Star 650 that is showing 17,000 miles on the odometer.
I really enjoy the little bike, as I am getting older (73) and my GL1500 is getting heavier.

I am hearing a strange noise from the VStar that seems to be comming from the area of the canister mounted lower left front. I really can't discribe the sound; even though I have probably owned over 30 different motorcycles, I have never heard a noise like it. The noise is very loud; especially & mostly in 5th gear, and it actually over rides the sound of my mufflers.

I bought it from the original owner, and he says that the noise was there from day one, and that his dealer said that it was a normal sound.

If this loud noise is indeed normal, then surely someone on this forum can tell me what it is; where it's comming from; how to get rid of it.
I can live with it, but don't like it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Can you describe it as a high pitch whistle? If so, very common, especially if aftermarket pipes were put on. Remedy, not quite sure. Could be air leak, could be (if new pipes on) lowered back pressure and needs tuned correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not from the pipes!!

Noise is definitely from the lower left front of the engine. It sounds like a very loud chirping fan belt, and/or a pump sucking. It is mostly confined to 5th gear; while slightly on throttle, and is very loud from 45 to 60; then fades away at 65 & above. I have owned many bikes, and have heard most of their noises, from valve chatter, rod's knocking, timing chain rattle etc., but this one is new to me.
I just got home off a 375 mile Sunday ride. Half of this ride was interstate at 80mph; other half was state roads at 65mph; averaged 48.4 mpg. The little bike performed perfectly; did everything I ask of it. The stock seat is not comfortable for such a long ride, and even with a sheep skin, I would likely faint if you touched my butt with a feather.

The noise doesn't worry me, just annoys me!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has the AIS been disabled, if so it might be sucking air from somewhere inside the canister where it was disabled and they just left the guts in it. Also might check to see if the chrome line that is in the front(also part of the AIS) is tight. Sounds like a good place to start. Both of those are easy access. Could also check and see if the breather box is securely mounted on the carbs.
Might be a stab in the dark but worth checking. Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2001 VStar 650 has the EXACT same noise. I also described it as a chirping belt, in
5th gear between 55-70mph. Has anyone ever discovered what might be causing this sound? The sound disappears when the clutch is disengaged.

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Contrary to what you are told, that is not a normal sound (unless it has something to do with the '99 model). I have an '07 V Star 650 and I haven't heard any such sound, infact the bike runs with only health engine sounds.

I agree with SouthernGent. The AIS would be the best place to start. Passed that, I don't know what else to tell you.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I bought it from the original owner, and he says that the noise was there from day one, and that his dealer said that it was a normal sound.
Can't or won't the dealer tell you where the noise is coming from? They say it's normal and that's all fine and dandy but why won't they tell you where it's from?

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2000 does the same thing exactly I was thinking the AIS filter is clogged I am going to try to blow compressed air backward through the system to clear it out then run a wire through the lines and do it again if that don't cure it I guess I will live with it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts