Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
All mechanical things have natural vibrations, it's just a characteristic of the physical system that's made from masses, springs, and dampers. Motorcycles of course are subject to this effect too with the extreme effect being a tank slapper. Two considerations that control a front end shimmy are the tightness of the steering head bearing and steering dampers.

Since most bikes don't have steering dampers it's extremely important that the head bearing is properly adjusted. Even so, the possibility is always there, it's just waiting for the wrong surface conditions, a series of bumps, in a turn, and so on. Since I returned to biking I've read of a few incidents that made me aware of this issue. Not that I want to say that any bike with a little vibration will eventually have a tank slapper, but that a rider should be aware of any vibrations getting uncharacteristically worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
vtx1300 wobble

I'm looking at an '04 VTX 1300. While looking up info on the net about the 1300, I've come across several reports and complaints about a problem with the front end wobbling during deceleration and that the problem is there from the beginning, not one that develops as mileage accumulates. I've read that replacing the fork bearings fixed this. I've read that replacing the front tire fixed this. I've read that some required both fixes to get rid of the wobble. I've read many of these owners have complained to there dealer about this to no avail and the owners have had to replace their front bearings/tires at their own cost.

Any VTX 1300 owners out there that have any info to share about a problem with the front end wobbling on decel and how it was remedied?

·
Registered
2 Posts
just to let you guys know, there's a company called all balls, (parts unlimited also sells the bearings with the exact same part#) that has front steering bearings that will fix the wobble. the problem is that the stock steering bearings are standard ball bearings that offer no adjustment in pressure. the all balls bearings are tapered roller bearings, that are regularly used on dirt bikes, that will tighten as you increase torque on the lock nut. the part number for vtx1300 is #221020. these will solve the problem your all having.
your all welcome!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 02 VTX 1800 and while decelerating off the expressway if I loosen my grip completely it does wobble some. If I retain a normal grip it doesn't. "Doctor it hurts when I do this!" "Well don't do that!"
i'm studying the manual for a fork rebuild and neck regrease, resnug.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It might seem weird, but check your rear tire as well. I had a bad tire on the rear of a Honda Magna, and it did that to the front all the time until replaced. I redid all the stuff on the front end, and it didn't go away until the rear tire was replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine is in the shop now having the neck bearing replaced with the all balls tapered bearing which they told me that the all ball were the upgrade to the oem bearing put in at the manufacturer. So Honda knew/knows that there were a defect with these bearings. I have found with my research of the problem going all the way back to 2003. But they refuse to acknowledge it and they quit making the vtx's in 2009.

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
I have found with my research of the problem going all the way back to 2003. But they refuse to acknowledge it and they quit making the vtx's in 2009.
I think you need to LET GO of your apparent obsession with this.
What would it accomplish if "they" would "acknowledge" the problem.......since you are WAY out of warranty ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same difficulty with two of my VTX 1300C. I change out the roller bearings in the neck to tapered bearings from the VTX 1800C. this appears to work. I have not had anymore wobble in the front end at low speed. I am on my third VTX 1300C and about to change the bearings on this one as well. Let know if this works for others.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts