Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not of the persuasion that loud pipes save lives but I do think that stock pipes are too quiet.
I had another Deer collision recently on my Triumph. Lost some skin and totaled the bike.
I am considering getting slip on mufflers to help make me more noticeable to the deer.
In my recent accident I don't know if it would have helped since the deer are mating and running.
I'm looking at these mufflers. They are not SUPPOSED to be real loud.
Do any of you have them ? Other suggestions ?

JJ

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
When I upgraded the pipes on my M50, I went with Vance & Hines Cruzers. Louder than stock but not too loud. Not sure if they are available for your ride.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to go on the cheap. I just had a bad accident. The bike has almost 100,000 Smiles on it. I'm looking into car mufflers today. Thrush or Cherry Bomb !

JJ

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
BAD idea, John.
REALLY bad idea.
Deer will hear you coming a little farther away and have more time to jump out INTO the road.
And a car muffler on a bike will look like CRAP.
And it might nor run good either.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Why would deer hearing me coming be a bad thing ?
Because deer are STUPID.
Anything that can startle them is BAD.
They will often jump INTO a hazard instead of away from it.
YOU should already know that, given your history.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that they are stupid.
They move if you brake,accelerate, or do anything different. I don't care for loud pipes but I have noticed that they move when they hear a sound.
I wouldn't think that they would wait for me if they heard me coming.
I would think they would move on. I wouldn't think that a constant louder sound would spook them. Sorry but I'm looking for anything that might keep me from hitting them again.

JJ

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in their "back yard" !

JJ

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Boss. I would like to believe in something like that BUT I don't. Most genuine studies say that nothing works.
Rider magazine had a test on a Kuryakyn one. Said it didn't work.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts