Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the back tire on my new Vulcan 900 is brand new and rides fine. The front tire will need to be replaced very soon. Is it a good idea to match the rear and front tires for best handling and treadwear?

The back is a Shinko 230 Tour Master.

Also, where do y'all buy your tires from? MotorcycleSuperstore.com or someplace else? Talk to me.

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
On a road trip many years ago, on my way into Atlanta realized that my front tire was becoming worn BADLY on one side.
The first bike shop I passed was a new Triumph dealer on US 41 north of town.
They had my size....at a decent price.....and had it on in about an hour.
I owe them one but probably never will be able to repay them with more business.
Maybe you can. :mrgreen:

The funny part of that story is that after I left that shop, I passed a LARGE metric shop a couple of miles farther down the road.
I think you should start cultivating a relationship with a shop near you.
You never know when you might need them for something that you can't do "mail order".

And yes I would try to match them up if possible.
But on a cruiser I think close would be good enough.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Easy. So does anyone have a recommendation for a place to have the new tire mounted and balanced? I really don't want to go to a dealer and be charged by the hour. Mountain Motorsports Roswell is ridiculous and I really don't want to force my wife to follow me 23 miles up the road to the Triumph dealer in Buford. :D

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
Call around. Aren't there several other large shops along US 41 North ??

There aren't a LOT of independent bike shops around Atlanta but there are some.
I wouldn't trust Bubba in his garage with a couple of big screw drivers to change MY tire.

And changing a front tire is not a big deal for a shop.
If you make an appointment, they should be able to knock it out in an hour; maybe a half hour.......during which time you can drool over all the bikes on the lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts