Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Suzuki Marauder VZ800

I just pulled my carbs apart cleaned them all out and put it all back together. I finally got it started and it was idling but the fuel pump was clicking. After the bike stalled the fuel pump still continued to click. I had to turn off the key to get it to stop. I have no idea what is going on. I'm going to go get some chemical cleaner for the fuel tank and carbs. I think something must have been in the tank and made its way to the carbs again. Dealing with the fuel system on this bike is insane.

Thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
This probably means that one of the floats in a carb isn't adjusted right.....or the associated needle valve is stuck or damaged.......so that fuel continues to flow into the carb even after it is full.......and then probably pours down into the cylinder and into the crankcase.

"Chemical cleaner" in the gas won't be effective if you can't get it to run again.
But if there really is gas in the oil now, you don't WANT it to run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bypassed the fuel pump and sure enough fuel spilled out all over the ground. I dont understand. The needle is fine. The float is set to the manual specs and it also is fine. Could it be the front carb? I really hate this two carb set up. its so hard to get in and out of the bike. I think I'm going to just give this thing away and cut my losses.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Close inspection of the float needle may show a fine line around the tip....which means it wont seal properly. The float needle seat may also be damaged or worn...some are just pressed in and can be removed carefully and replaced. The float height may well be correct but if the float spindle is stiff or the float has any fluid in it then it wont rise properly and seal the float needle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly do you mean by "bypassed the fuel pump" ?
Also, depending on what the float is made of, it could have fuel inside of it causing it not to float.
There was no fuel in the floats. I checked that. I hooked up a gravity system to the fuel pump to make sure that there was no restrictions in the lines from the tank. It's certainly acting like the floats are not functioning as designed but I can't visually see anything wrong so it probably needs a full rebuild front and rear carbs but I'm not doing that. I've already spent way too much time and money on something I just want out of my garage anyways. It's a great project for someone else. For the cost of a carb rebuild kit and some time they could have a really good bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts