Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
I use a little car wash soap, warm sink water and sponge down all the plastics and the rims. I use a chamois to dry off the plastics and rims as well. To clean the smaller intricate motor parts I use an older chamois and wet it and just rub off the dirt and crud from the engine. To dry streak free parts (windshield, mirrors, guages and chrome exhaust) I use those blue shop paper towels from advance auto parts.

For God's sake dont spray it with a hose! It makes a mess and you might shoot water directly into the air intakes and exhaust pipe!

(Also note: I AM ANAL RETENTIVE)

· Premium Member
14,233 Posts
@jaydog: Do you also pull over under the next cover as soon as it starts raining? :roll:

I just ride down to the local self-service car-wash, spray the bike with the high-pressure nozzle, then ride home. By that time, any water on the air filter or in the exhaust has been blown out or evaporates.

A few hours later (when the bike has cooled down), I use some "NEVR DULL" to polish the chrome, and use normal carwax on the tank and other painted parts.

Then some chain-spray to keep the chain lubed ... that's about it.

BTW - I am a lazy old man ...

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Yeah, I'm an up-close and personal when cleaning my bike. Its in SHOWROOM condition all the time. I drive it everyday, and even in the rain if I have too. But its always cleaned before I take it out for a ride. Thats just how I do it.

· Registered
879 Posts
Honda ProKleen. It is the best product that honda has ever made. No water involved. You spray it on, let it set for a couple of seconds, rub it in, rub it off. I use this on all plastics, frame, mirrors, and windshield. Works great. It is also a water repellant so when you do end up getting rained on, the rain just beads up and flows right off. Use micro-fiber cloths for this. The first one just to rub everything in and then a second clean one to get rid of any streaks that may or may not be there. For any shiny stuff, Mothers metal polish. It don't take much and looks great.

I can start cleaning my bike and be riding 30 minutes later this way and water never touches it unless I get rained on.

· Registered
10,685 Posts
inspiron said:
I just ride down to the local self-service car-wash, spray the bike with the high-pressure nozzle, then ride home. By that time, any water on the air filter or in the exhaust has been blown out or evaporates.
I've been told by my mechanic to NOT use a pressure washer t wash my bike as water may get INTO parts that should not have water in them.

Some Hertel Plus to remove the grease, normal soap and water on the rest. Wipe the excess water.

I got an old bike that nowhere near mint.

· Registered
879 Posts
jaydog19833 said:
Jesus it looks like your Busa fell outta heaven in that pic :twisted:
Thank you, I love the way the sunlight filters down in that one. Probably one of the best pics I have of my bike. That one was right after a 3 hour ride so I know that the cleaning before hand was good.

· Registered
24 Posts
Won't that ProKleen stuff just trap the dirt in the towel you're washing the bike with and scratch the paint? I would think rinsing it off first, if visibily dirty/dusty, would be a good idea, even if it's just with a low pressure hose?

Quoting the linked article from above:

If your off road vehicle is only slightly dirty, it's best to "dry" clean it with the aid of a stiff-bristled nylon brush and some damp rags rather than subjecting it to an unnecessary flood of water.
Don't start a thorough washing unless you have enough time to completely dry your vehicle and lightly lubricate its bare metal areas. This reduces the possibility of corrosion or rust. Stuff a rag in the silencer outlet, to keep water from getting in. (Be sure to remove it before starting). Avoid pointing the stream of water into the air box, at the ignition components up under the fuel tank, or at the steering head and suspension pivot bearings.
Accumulated dirt should be loosened with a shower of water, and brushes. Various shapes of household cleaning brushes are great for removing dirt from the many tight contours of your machine. Ride the bike for a few minutes after washing, if possible. The engine and brake heat, combined with the blow-drying effect, evaporate water and condensation. This minimizes the possibility of corrosion of rust problems. Lightly oil any metal areas that are worn bare.
As soon as the chain is dry, lubricate it thoroughly and wipe off any excess lubricant. This is important because the chain can begin to rust within hours after washing. Remove the ignition cover and wipe away any moisture. Leave the cover off for a couple of hours to let the ignition cavity air dry, or use compressed air to lightly blow-dry the area.
What about coin-operated spray washer? They're tempting but, in the long run, your investment will hold up better if you avoid them. The high-pressure spray can penetrate the dust seals of the suspension pivot points and steering head bearings driving dirt inside and needed lubrication out.

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Use a spray called PLEXUS. It's a polish and does a great job of cleaning parts and all plastics. Works great on your helmet too. Doesn't scratch anything and has the rain-X effect on all it touches. Costs about 6 or 7 bucks at bike shops.

· Registered
879 Posts
Have been using ProKleen for 2 years on the same bike with no minor scratches from cleaning yet. I don't claim to know how it does it, but leaves my bike looking clean.

Working on aircraft we use plexus to clean canopies, after a time you will see some minor imperfections but other than that it is a good choice.

· Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
prokleen

Thanks guys for the help with my post.

Where is the best place to get Honda Proklen? (If not at local bike store, any links online that sell?) Also how much does it run for?

That sounds like my best bet, no water, just spray on and good to go.

Can I use this to clean the rims as well?

A better question, what can I not use it on?

· Registered
879 Posts
Any dealership that sales honda's. Around here it is $5 for a big spray can. Just make sure you use the micro-fiber clothes (Wal-Mart) since they pull all the dirt and grime up the best.

I use it to clean everything aside from the chain. That includes mirrors and helmets. Works great. When raining all I have to do is turn my head to the side just a little bit and my faceshield is dry for a short while

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.