650 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
My new ride!!!

Dam I think I got it!!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
You did indeed.

Nice looking bike, the pinstriping really set off the black.

Now just another $5000 worth of chrome, and you'll be all set.:twisted:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Thanks Rick. I'll pass on all the extra chrome. I do plan on getting the 3rd tail light for the Tourpack. Headlight and tail light modulators. The cruise controll is neat. Going to get a small intercom this week. The wife says she don't light yelling at me when we are out riding. If I new that I would have gotten the Ultra. Now she tells me!!:madd:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
How do you like the heel/toe shifter?

The reason I ask is because even though I like it, I don't like how far I have to lift my heel in order to up shift.

Kuryakyn has a unit they call the "slick shifter" it moves all the linkage under the floorboard, so all you have to do to shift, is move your foot forward, or backward, and push down.

Besides less movement of your foot in order to shift, it also gives you more room on the fallboard to move your foot around. Handy on longer trips.

Msrp is $199.

I also got myself a different brake lever for the foot brake, it positions the brake pedal about an inch lower, so you don't have to raise your right foot so far to brake. I figure at 60 mph, it saves me about 30 feet in braking distance, because I can get on the brake about a half second faster.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Truthfully Rick i never gave it a thought. It does have more of a step to get my heel up on the up shift then the C50 had and it does feel...more industral and heavy duty. I figure I will keep it stock until I figure it is a PIA. Same on the rear brake.
Hope fully I get to ride to work a couple of days this week. I did just look up that shifter and it seems like a very interesting setup. How long have you had yours?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I didn't actually get a slick shifter yet, just the shorter rise break lever.

I did get to test one out last year in Sturgis, and put it on my wish list for things to change over the winter.

I sent an e-mail to my buddy that works at Kuryakyn yesterday about ordering one, so it should be sometime next week.

I was a bit concerned that it might scrape if I got too aggressive with my cornering, but I have been assured that it wont scrape even with the floorboards folded all the way up.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
I've ridden on a couple bikes with heel-toe shifters, but not any significant amount of time. Question for y'all......In a heavy traffic situation what do you guys do? Just rest your foot on top of the shifting levers and rock it back and forth? Or just keep it on the floor and continue on business as usual?

·
Registered
24 Posts
With my MotoGuzzi Eldorado I have a 'rocker' heel toe shift. But the shift pattern is just opposite, push the heel down for 1st gear, then toe down for the rest on the up shifting.
I am not too fond of the system, I don't wear shiney boots so I don't have to worry about the top of the toe getting scuffed, that is about the only advantage I can see with the rocker.
I don't get as smooth of a shift when shifting down through the gears with my heel. You don't get the feel of the gear rolling in like you do with a toe shift. On the slower rpm engine I shift part of the time without the clutch, I have had people ask me if it was an automatic.
You sure got yourself a fine looking scoot there,I would probably have something like it if I would have saved more when I was young.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I've ridden on a couple bikes with heel-toe shifters, but not any significant amount of time. Question for y'all......In a heavy traffic situation what do you guys do? Just rest your foot on top of the shifting levers and rock it back and forth? Or just keep it on the floor and continue on business as usual?
It's not really any different than single lever shifting.

Unless it's an emergency, you don't have to make any quick gear changes, so I just keep my foot on the floorboard between the two levers.

The Harley has quite a bit of torque, so downshifts are usually unnecessary unless the traffic has slowed substantially.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Just throw your standard "plus 1, or +1" in here and there and you'll be fine! :mrgreen:
Good one, I almost spit up my coke!!

Adam, It's a modification for a heel/toe shifter, not exactly standard equipment on your ZZR.
A lot of bikes with floorboards have them.

Dave, I did find one dealer that's selling them for $159, and free shipping.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Good one, I almost spit up my coke!!

Adam, It's a modification for a heel/toe shifter, not exactly standard equipment on your ZZR.
A lot of bikes with floorboards have them.

Dave, I did find one dealer that's selling them for $159, and free shipping.
i see.... no idea due to no cruiser for myself

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
You sure left Tim a big opening there, I think you better get under cover.:mrgreen:

81 - 100 of 126 Posts