Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
you can thank rick for that one... didn't rethink my post before posting
Nice job editing!! :mrgreen: Tim will never know the opportunity he missed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Well I installed the alarm this last Saturday for the security system on the Harley. Very interesting as it plug and play right into the fuse box and has its own battery and plug conector into the system. Won't stop anybody if they really wnat it but can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
The cruise control I installed on the Road King was prety much plug-n-play too, took me about an hour, not counting the handlebar mounted controls. The dealer wanted to charge me $300 for the job, said it would take one of his tech's most of one day to do.

So how many miles you got on that bad boy now Dave?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Rick,
Only about 617 mile from Dec 6th when I got her till two weekends ago...weather has not been cooperating as such. Want to get my 1,000 check done before riding season. Also use her for commuting and I am still waiting for Al Gore's global warming to kick in so I can ride more.
Hows the hip? Try riding around the drive way yet? Bet you need the Dr and Momma's permission before you can do that.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
The hip's doing great,:D I'm back to work, and things are going fine, I'm sure I could ride now except for the weather.

-3* here this AM, with a fresh inch of snow, so no chance to try the bike. I have it pretry well buried in the gurage anyway, so it would be a pain to get to. Than there is all the salt on the roads to deal with, the sides of my truck are white with it, all things figured in, I doubt I'll be riding till late March.:-?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm with moonrunner. I have never had to down more than one gear even in a lug.

hoop

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Well hi all,
I thought that I might just up date every one on Harley ownership since I am almost 2 years in to it. Some of you might just find this a little boring but if you are thinking of making the jump to Harley from a metric this might just give you and idea of things to come.
I started this tread a few years back and was tickled pink to get a 08 Electra Glide Classic. Would I do it again...in a heart beat!! Has it been totally trouble free no. But that said the motor company really backed up their product. Let me explain...
I now have almost 25,000 miles on her and I have averaged about 38>40 mpg.
At about 18,000 miles it developed an oil leak from and unknown location. The dealer replaced EVERY seal in the primary and transmission. Even did a complete tear down of the transmission to get to some seals (O rings) inside. It still leaked. IF it had 40k on it I would have just kept an eye on the primary and transmission levels but with what you pay for one of these things and its on their dime let them fix it. Well they found a porous primary case. The dealer told me that the case was back ordered and would take and extra week to get it in. I, going into bike withdrawals asked if they had a Harley chromed inner primary? I told them that I would pay the difference. More chromes nothing wrong with that right. Turns out that the chrome case is in stock and $65.00 cheaper then the oem unit. And that they do the change ant no cost to me!! Such a deal!! So when I go to pick it up its all ready and they tell me they put on a new starter also. WTF.. I mean I drove in in there five times for them to fix it. Now there is a seal on the starter and old may have been getting out via that seal but now I am not complaining. I got a new chrome inner and a new starter on the Motor company's dime.
All in all its been a terrific ride and would by another in a heart beat like I said earlier. So far I have managed to cover all of New England and as far south ad Maryland. I use it as a daily commuter and ride down into the teens. Heated gear is the best thing since sliced bread. So that in a nut shell is my Motor Company adventure.

Ride safe......

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Well they found a porous primary case. The dealer told me that the case was back ordered and would take and extra week to get it in.
methinks there was a bunch of faulty castings made; the porous and backordered part kind of give it away.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I actualy checked the prices using Chicago HD on line price checker against the part numbers. Stock OEM inner was $365 and the chrome one was 299.00. I'll take a deal like that any day.........

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hi guys,new here and was reading this thread so I thought I'd chime in since I've been an E-Glider for a long time now.
Had many different bikes over the years including a few other Harleys.
Rode an old kick start Sportster daily for 8 years,had an FXR Superglide that I put 125,000 miles on over ten years so I've been around the block a few times.
I traded in an '89 Ultra for a new Twincam Classic on 1/15/00 and almost ten years later I'm still riding it.
She rolled over 160,000 miles this September before a surgery sidelined me for the rest of the season.
It's been a great bike and I still love riding it,seen pretty much the Western half of the USA on her so far.
I was going to trade her in at ten years to the day but the bad economy cost me a job I'd had form 24 years so that's not going to happen,guess she'll be rolling over 200,000 miles and still mine before too many more years go by.8)

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
cool, how many "it's got that many miles on it, it's bound to happen" things have ocurred?

like wheel bearings, brake rotors and other crazy stuff that almost never goes bad unless you cross the 100 k barrier.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
cool, how many "it's got that many miles on it, it's bound to happen" things have ocurred?

like wheel bearings, brake rotors and other crazy stuff that almost never goes bad unless you cross the 100 k barrier.
Well it's been pretty good but of course some parts have been replaced.
The wheel bearings are 100,000 mile sealed bearings,never had a failure with the OEMs but with 90K plus on the bike I had them replaced while getting some new tires put on.
Bad call or timing whatever ya wanna call it,got some poor quality bearings both front and real failed within 20K miles,not bad enough to strand me anywhere but bad enough to be replacing them,needless to say I was perturbed.
After sorting that out the replacements have been fine and now have 50K plus on them.
I've replaced front brake rotors twice and a few sets of pads front and rear.
Switched to Lyndal Z pads and they are holding up great with almost no brake dust and they don't fade with heat like the OEM pads did.
The new bikes have Brembo brakes with ABS,wish I had the scratch for a new bike but it'll have to wait a while.
The engine has had only elective surgery,at 40K I had a big bore kit installed with stock compression and cams/ignition to keep my warranty intact.
At that time they did a Torrington cam bearing upgrade and replaced the cam chain tensioner shoes which were fine on my bike but some early TC88's had issues with them failing early.
I rode the bike 60,000 miles that way bringing her up on 100K,still running strong at that point but with my 5 year extended warranty expired I opted for some more power and piece of mind with a fresh top end.
I had the 95" big bore kit bored another .010 and 10.25 compression pistons installed,had the heads sent to Baisley Hi Performance in Portland,OR. for a street port job and new Baisley valves with custom valve grind.
Dan Baisley is world renowned as one of the best in the Business.
I had the chain drive cams replaced with S&S 570 gear drive cams,upgraded the ignition to a Dynatek programmable unit,went to a Screaming Eagle CV44 carb and added Rinehart true dual exhaust.
That build still runs like a scalded dog at 60K miles and makes more power than the new SE 110" bikes do stock.
Other bits,I fried the stator at 60K running 100mph in 100deg heat getting away from a huge storm in Utah between Salt Lake and Bonneville.
Limped into Twin Falls,ID and the good folks at Snake H-D replaced it under warranty and had me back on the road in less than 3 hours. :bluethum:
About 120K the swingarm cracked after hitting one too many big pot holes with the bike overloaded and two up,dealer found it while doing a tire so I was down a week or two waiting for a replacement.:-(
I'm on my third drive belt,well actually it broke recently so the third is not on yet,happened Labor day weekend with 80K on the belt at the time.
I carry an emergency spare for that occasion to get me out of a jam.
I had surgery just after that and am still recovering so my season is over till Spring.
I've gone through a couple seats and windshields and some light bulbs and a whole bunch of tires but that's pretty much it.
The trans,primary chain and clutch is still original and still work fine.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
wow, just a couple of upgrades on that bike have we?

the chain to gear drive cam conversion sounds like it had to be a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
wow, just a couple of upgrades on that bike have we?

the chain to gear drive cam conversion sounds like it had to be a few bucks.
I spent about $3500 all told,the gear drive cams I bought in a kit with everything needed for about $500.
I runs out nice for a lazy O'l V-Twin ten years old,made 105hp/110tq at the rear wheel.
That's almost exactly the same as a new 1800 Gold Wing flat six but about 100 lbs lighter.8)

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
heard somebody liked the old honda vfr800 (?) because for a number of years the camshafts were gear driven.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
heard somebody liked the old honda vfr800 (?) because for a number of years the camshafts were gear driven.
Makes sense to me,gear drives are very reliable.
That's one reason those old IHC trucks ran for ever,they had gear drive cams unlike a Chevy,Ford or Dodge that were all chain drive and would fail after 100,000 miles.
Harleys all had gear drive cams till the Twincam came out in 1999,Sportster models are still gear drive with four single lobe cams just as they have been since 1957.
Since '52 if you count the K models,same bike as a Sporty but with flat heads that evolved into the Sportster in '57 when they added OHV heads.:cool:

101 - 120 of 126 Posts