Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the feel of a V-Star and will be having a passenger ride with me accasionally, but not on super long trips. My riding will be more local, under an hour or two. Not interested in riding cross-country or anything, at least not yet.

What is a good engine size to buy? I'm will be purchasing a used bike if that matters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just posted on your other thread...

If its gonna be around town mostly, probably the star 950 will be plenty of power for you. They're pretty too ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,209 Posts
What is a good engine size to buy?
950 or up.
But "the feel of a V-Star" isn't the same for every size and style of bike.

The seat is more important than the engine or bike size; regardless of what bike you get, you will probably need a custom seat for the passenger to be anywhere close to comfortable for more than a few miles.

Might want to consider the Kaw Vulcan line too. I love my 900.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion on the Vulcan. I never thought about that one. After doing some research it looks like a very nice bike too. I know Yamaha has the best reliability reports but Kawasaki isn't far behind. I think either one I'd be happy with. BTW, I'm going to look on the used market when I do decide on a bike. I thought I'd throw that in there. Something under $4,000.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You might look at a Vulcan nomad also. Little bigger than a 900 but they can be had pretty cheap used. Those are nice bikes and good for two up riding.

Like I said that's bigger than the 900, but it's up to you on what you're comfortable with size wise. Just another suggestion for you.

They might be hard to find under 4 grand, but around 5 or 6 you could get a pretty nice used one around me in Oklahoma. It's worth looking at the very least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts