Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there quick question regarding tires for a cruiser bike ( I ride a 2013 Suzuki Boulevard c90t)I came across to different opinions regarding tires some people say PILOT MICHELIN are the best ,others mention DUNLOP 404 and a lot mention AVON as the best of all ,I need some more opinions pls before I make a purchase ,Thank you

·
Registered
138 Posts
For the experts and the learned, I would also ask, are there any brands of tires to avoid?
I'm riding Dunlop now and haven't had any issues or complaints, but I'm not exactly doubling the speed limits through turns either.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,179 Posts
The selection of the "best" tire is a very subjective choice.

My bike (a naked touring bike, not a cruiser) was originally delivered with Bridgestones. I didn't give the tires much thought (I was more concerned about learning to ride the beast) until they were ready to be replaced. I replaced them with a set of Continental Road Attacks, and it was suddenly like having a totally new bike! As soon as I picked up the bike at the shop and was riding home (taking it pretty easy, since you need to be careful for the first few miles until the manufacturing residues are scrubbed off), I felt MUCH more confident about how the bike was handling - it felt like I had a much better contact with the road and could suddenly take curves with more confidence. I never imagined that the tires would have THAT much impact on the performance!

Over the past 10 years, I've stuck with the Conti Road Attacks almost exclusively. I went through one season with Michelins, if I remember correctly, but then switched back to the Contis because they were the best for my bike and my riding style.

Your tire selection has to consider many factors - your bike (geometry, etc.), the road surfaces you ride on (new or older asphalt, lots of tar snakes or not, etc.), the weather you ride in (good or all-weather riding? 80° or 100° summer temperatures, etc.), and your personal riding style (aggressive cornering or mostly cruising down the highway). You will probably have to try a few different tires until you find the "one" for you.

Enjoy the process!

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
They dont sell Conti's here...shame. I had Pirreli Angels on my Busa when I crashed. The rear had broken traction on a couple of other occasions. Whether this was the tyre or due to me losing a few kilo's and not resetting the suspension from fat bugger to thin bugger we will never know.

There are as many opinions on tyres as brands. Avon were one of the best brands in the UK but that was in the seventies...ditto Continentals.

Bridgestone Battlaxe are supposedly a great tyre but have been superseded by some fancy race tyre. I had a Michelin rear once and didnt like it at all, maybe cause it was a hard compound one that didnt grip as well as the one it replaced.

The Bridgestone pilot pure range, up to four now I think... are supposed to be very good. All the tyres I speak of are for sports bikes and possibly not needed for your type of riding.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Your tire selection has to consider many factors - your bike (geometry, etc.), the road surfaces you ride on (new or older asphalt, lots of tar snakes or not, etc.), the weather you ride in (good or all-weather riding? 80° or 100° summer temperatures, etc.), and your personal riding style (aggressive cornering or mostly cruising down the highway). You will probably have to try a few different tires until you find the "one" for you.

Enjoy the process!
Inspiron made some good points there.
kayser, your question is too vague to properly answer.
There's no best tire, just the tire that fits best your riding style and conditions. Some people even use car tires for their rear tire because they are cheaper, last longer, and track better at highway speeds. There are cons to that choice of course. It's not for everyone, but it just goes to show you to be open to experimenting to find out what works best for you.
In general, a stickier tire will wear faster and a tire that lasts longer will be less grippy. You need to start with what you know: what kind of riding do you mainly do? Is this bike a daily commuter? You care more about doing fun twisties in the mountains? Is price a factor? You have to figure out what's important to you and what you are willing to compromise for that goal.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
From a personal point of view price will now never be a consideration for me. I will also take what general opinion of brands is as a more accurate description of a tyre than the sales blurb or reputation

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
MICHELIN commander II is the best I've used although I would like to try the new Metzler 888.
I keep coming back to the Metzlers,as you may know I have 185,000 miles on the clock and I'm hard on tires so after 35+ rear tires on this bike alone I've tried quite a few.
I currently am on a set of the 888s and love them.
They are wearing well and handle just as good as the 880s but last longer from what I can tell after a few thousand miles on them, simply a great tire IMHO.
My last couple sets were Dunlop Elite IIIs,good tires that wear well but not as confidence inspiring as the Metz in the corners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts