Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to replace the stock headlight bulb with something much much brighter. Ive seen some lights on CC that are 100w but I dont know if thats too much for the bike to handle. Im basically looking for the brightest, whitest and most intense light you can put on that doesnt require any modifications

Any advice??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been wanting a brighter light also. I haven't tried it out yet but I bought a Sylvania Silverstar bulb today from Advanced Auto Parts. The guy told me that the Silverstars were the brightest bulbs they had...besides the 100w ones...which technically are illegal. He said that he had a set on his truck and loved them. I wasn't sure if I could get a bulb I needed there, but It said online that the bulb I need for the M50 is an H4 bulb. I walked in and said "I need an H4 bulb"...and here it is. It also says "For Motorcycle Use Only" on the package. I plan to put it in tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works.

On a side note...the bulb costs about 21 dollars...but that's much cheaper than a light bar and extra lights.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I put the Sylvania Silverstar H4 into my M50 about three months ago. I will never go back.. It is a huge increase in the amount of light and the area that is visible when riding at night. Also, make sure your headlight is aimed properly, a lot of bikes come from the factory with the headlight aimed too low, check the OM, it is an easy adjustment, just a phillips screwdriver.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Time4me2ride said:
I put the Sylvania Silverstar H4 into my M50 about three months ago. I will never go back.. It is a huge increase in the amount of light and the area that is visible when riding at night. Also, make sure your headlight is aimed properly, a lot of bikes come from the factory with the headlight aimed too low, check the OM, it is an easy adjustment, just a phillips screwdriver.
+1 what a difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Without going to an HID conversion, the Silverstar is 100% better than stock. Some of the 100w bulb replacements might be brighter... but the silverstar will last longer and will still be an improvement over stock.

(Granted... the silverstars will not last as long as regular bulbs either... but that's the price you pay.)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! I will try find one of these sylvania lights.. any recommendations?? I dont know where I can find one around here that will definitely have them.. Being in Ontario sucks for finding bike stuff

·
Registered
62 Posts
RicoChet said:
Thanks guys!! I will try find one of these sylvania lights.. any recommendations?? I dont know where I can find one around here that will definitely have them.. Being in Ontario sucks for finding bike stuff

I got mine at an Advanced Auto Parts. I just thought they had car stuff, but they had the H4 bulbs also. You could probably try any type of major Auto Parts store...i.e. Auto Zone or something like that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi everyone.. I picked up a sylvania bulb but im not sure if I can use it.. I asked them for an H4 bulb and they gave me this one 9003ST "9003 SilverStar Headlight"

On the website the 2 bulbs look IDENTICAL.. I dont know what the difference is between the 2, is the 9003ST completely not useable? If I can use it, great.. if not, I have the receipt

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
RicoChet said:
Hi everyone.. I picked up a sylvania bulb but im not sure if I can use it.. I asked them for an H4 bulb and they gave me this one 9003ST "9003 SilverStar Headlight"

On the website the 2 bulbs look IDENTICAL.. I dont know what the difference is between the 2, is the 9003ST completely not useable? If I can use it, great.. if not, I have the receipt

That's what I got/use now RicoChet, been using it for some time now, she work like a charm....:D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whats the difference between the 2 if they both work? Does it work properly and well mavman?

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Difference between them? Maybe a marketing gimmic or something, I really haven't the fogiest, never tried the H4...sorry.

I can say it-the 9003st works better/is brighter than stock,

I did adjust the headlight housing up a little and feel no need for extra lights-IMO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
RicoChet said:
Whats the difference between the 2 if they both work? Does it work properly and well mavman?
No difference and I'm glad you got someone behind the counter who knew enough to tell you they were the same.

It took me several days to find out that the 9003 and H4 are the same bulb. I tried to order the H4 from several places around here and nobody seemed to be able to get it. I finally called Osram and they told me they were the same bulb just packaged differently and even the lady on the phone couldn't tell me why.

Oh well, I also have the 9003ST on my bike, from C.T. and it's been working fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
RicoChet said:
Sweeeet! Ill put it in tomorow!
Just make sure you don't touch the bulb. Bad things will happen if you touch it!!!

Are you scared now?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AndreMan said:
Just make sure you don't touch the bulb. Bad things will happen if you touch it!!!

Are you scared now?
can I hold the bulb with some paper towel or something? a sock perhaps?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts