Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After having a near collision with an absent-minded cabbie - I started to look for more ways to make myself visible.

I thought about color - my bike is a dark blue, not the easiest to see in dark lighting.

There have been several studies on the issue of vehicle color, like "Colour choice can be crucial. Road Ahead" and "Does vehicle color influence the risk of being passively involved in a collision?".

Although none of them state a specific color as the safest - there are a few common grounds on vehicle color. For starters - it looks like Kawi has gotten it right with 'Team Green'.

You can check out the article I wrote on it here:

What color motorcycle is the safest? | Alivetoride.com

·
Registered
783 Posts
I saw a "hi-viz" green cruiser (think Honda Shadow or something similar) this past week. Although, the painted parts on a cruiser (tank, fenders, and side covers) are very small compared to the rest of the bike.

I think the best thing to make yourself visible is to wear bright, reflective helmet, jacket, and pants.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think the best thing to make yourself visible is to wear bright, reflective helmet, jacket, and pants.
I agree. My helmet is intentionally white for that reason...bonus that it is cooler than black. Mine is a full face also...so there's also more white to be seen vs half helmet. I've also read that safety orange is the other most visible helmet. While I'm no motor-fashionista...I did figure I white helmet would go with any jacket I bought. Scorpion has come out with the first hi-viz yellow/green helmet I've seen. It matches their jacket. Scorpion EXO-700 Neon - webBikeWorld

Which brings me to the jacket...My first was Joe Rocket Cleo 2 in Hawaii blue (also has white and black on it). Again - it was the brightest color I could find 2 years ago that wasn't pink. Good amount of armour as well.

I have since purchased Olympia Airglide 2 jacket in Hi-viz yellow but do still occaisionally break out the Cleo when it's 90+ on the therm. I am very happy with it and constantly get comments on it's brightness.

I also have the Airglide 2 pants in silver...again I did not choose black because of color and also figured these would be slightly cooler. Being that they are lower to the field of vision and I don't always wear them in summer :shm: depending on temps, I might choose black next time...again will match most any jacket better and will hide dirt better. They do have a Scotchlite reflective strip down the side.

I say definitely go for the WHITE full face helmet and the brightest armored jacket you can find...there are many more of them on the market than even 1 year ago.

I was in Costa Rica earlier this summer and they have passed a law that all motorcyclist must wear some type of hi-viz safety vest. Tons of motorcycles down there - the only means of transportation for some families. The Harley population with all their black leather is going to be pissed, but hey, they can just wear the hi-viz over the black and remove it when they get to the bar. Mine is about 2" wide, goes around the waist and over both shoulders.

In fact - on occasion I wore one over my Cleo. You can get them pretty small - the ones that almost look like crossing guard or elementary school bus patrol harnesses. Found mine by chance at a BMW dealership while looking at gloves - bought it on the spot. It has also come in handy walking/jogging and riding my bicycle. Heck - you could even throw it in your cage as insurance should you need to change a flat by the side of the road.

I was even thinking for those longer road trips when your black luggage obscures your hi-viz jacket from behind, you can probably hook it around the luggage.

Just start looking around at other motorcyclist and bicyclists and notice what catches your eye...not only the color but the location of it. Also notice what does NOT catch your eye...

A motorcyclist from behind or in front in perspective view dressed in dark colors including dark helmet blends into the pavement. I've noticed that also includes my silver pants that I thought would be better than black.

Speaking of location on things...I can't for the life of me figure out where Harley seems to be the only OEM locating signal lights further up on the bars vs. down my the headlight. Better yet...when will OEMs starting including the signals IN the mirror (back and front side) like some after markets do...plus many cars are doing now.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You guys are thinking the color of you bike will make a difference. Motorcycles have headlights on during the day for a reason! Yet people will still pull out in front of US. Color is not going to help.
Ride like you are Invisible.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Color is not going to help.
Color is not going to eliminate the problem, but it can help reduce the problem
Ride like you are Invisible.
Always good advice! As long as it's taken to mean "Ride defensively", and not "Go ahead and ride pantless with Nazi and Confederate flags draped about you like capes because no one can see you anyway".

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've thought about this many a time, and I truly believe that the best thing is not to cover a whole bike in just one color, but to have contrasts(you know black/white f.ex ;)
Just the minor mod I'm planning next year(which I was so lucky to get inspired by, from a friendly photoshop helper in this forum)

http://home.no/music-and-stuff/R1000_K6_Org.jpg

Original

http://home.no/music-and-stuff/R1000_K6_Mod2.jpg

Contrasts

My intention is just because I like that look better, but I think just that will help alot because it's a big contrast.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I notice yellow then white.
I have second that. yellow then white then red.

donny662
"Ride defensively" yes that is what I meant. I have a rather larger BRIGHT RED truck. I still have people saying they didn't see me.:fight1:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Just add an Orange saftey vest and this and people will notice you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting a Bright Red Helmet, and a Red Jacket... all of course on a red bike... I see other red bikers with black gear on, not very noticeable, but then I see someone with a red head while caging it and i see them the most

1 - 13 of 13 Posts