Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so here is the deal guys. I am going to assume most of the guys on here are older 30+ and have been riding for a awhile now. I wanted the ninja 650 or something along that type of sportbike but im too big for that type of bike and i dont want to get on a 1000cc bike so that i can stretch out. So ive decided on getting a cruiser. I want something that looks mean. a strong looking bike that has class but doesnt look like im 50 ( no offense guys but Im only 19!) but i want something with a stretched look. I really like the Suzuki boulevard M50 and ive seen some fair priced used bikes. So please give me feedback on a good bike that you think would catch my interest. nothing older than a 95 preferably and nothing over 6000 dollars. i do have experience with dirtbikes almost all my life so im looking for 600 to 1000cc bikes. Alittle bigger could be ok but no smaller than 600cc. I'm 6'4 and 220 lbs. by the time i buy the bike i plan to be about 230 to 240 due to a new lifting program.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I fit what you assume. I'm 38 and have the same taste in bikes as you. I ride a 99 marauder, which is the predecessor to the m50.

I love my marauder. I've owned 5 other bikes and this is my all time favorite. You can get a used m50 for under your budget. My 99 had 12k miles and purchase price used at 2700.

Since you are 6-4, you might want to consider putting a bit of your budget aside for forward pegs. I'm only 5-10, and find a 2 inch forward set works well for my legs. You would probably want at least 4 inch forward, probably 6. Spacerjim sells a set that cannot be beat in price or quality.

Good luck choosing!

sent via middle finger express

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sit on a Vulcan 900. The custom edition looks pretty bad a$$. Easy Rider has one and seems to be very happy with it. The custom comes with VERY forward controls, so you should like that for stretching out. He doesn't as he is vertically challenged as he says, lol!

I'm 6-1 and 225, I liked the way the Vulcan fit me. They feel more like a big bike than the so called "mid-size" bike. Should be able to find one used in your price range.

I have a friend who is 6-5 and about 280. Body builder type, ya know? Just a friggin tree trunk. He rides a sv650. Likes the handle bar position, but I will say he looks a bit big on that thing. But, he would look big on anything that isn't a tank.

My m50 is awesome, but my legs do feel a bit cramped at times. Haven't decided what to do with it yet...lots of options though.

Just go out and sit on some stuff at a dealer, take a test ride, ask questions. Listen to the guys that answer here, they know their bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for the responses. I figured that with whatever bike i choose i will have to get forward pegs. I also like the forward controls. My dad had a honda shadow when i was younger and i loved the bike but i cant remember what kind it was other than a shadow. i will have to take a look at the vulcan too. thanks !!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
You might want to look at the new Star/Yamaha Bolt, brand new msrp $7,990 I believe and they have special financing right now I believe montly payments as low as $115. And the Star V-star 950 $120/month or the Star Stryker 1300 $145/month. with good credit rating.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
hmmmm is this your 1st bike? if so then a smaller bike to learn on is going to be my recommendation. and then sell it and buy something bigger once you've got a several thousand miles under your belt.

you have to try really hard to find a cruiser under 600cc. at 6'4 240 i'd be looking at a 1100-1300 especially if you plan on doing some nice long distances.. plenty of nice vtx 1300's in that price range in mi. mabye a vstar 1100. not that my m50 wouldnt do 80 with me at 6'2 270lbs in gear on it. but its a much better bike in/around town than it is for long freeway runs.

possibly 2004 honda vt 1100 shadow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys

this would be my first road bike but not my first time riding. I know all the basics of riding. A smaller bike to learn on isnt good for me because right now i dont have the funds to just buy a bike to ride for a couple of months. But i dont want a bike bike either. Im looking for 20 mile city driving and short long distance rides. the longest i want to ride would be from my house to my girlfirends. that is from the west side to detroit so about a 4 hour ride. no farther than that really.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally like the 800 and 900 Vulcans for your price range and size. I had an 800 and rode the hell out of it with no problems for 50,000+ miles, then bought my Drifter. Remember that you really need to buy from a good dealer. Ask around, not all are stealers. The Vulcans are fairly easy to work on and are reliable and don't have many known problems. They get fairly good gas mileage, handle and brake well, and are not too hard on tires (big expense these days) for a cruiser, too. They are popular so if you decide later to get another bike you should be able to sell it as prospective buyers will be interested. I look for mid-sized bikes to make a comeback as bike and gas prices go up (and they will, wait till next summer).

Smokey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.