Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have had some new formal training in the last year? What was it? Or how long has it been since you had any? I believe everyone should every year or two, to keep our skills fresh. I took the MSF beginner course to get my license about 2 years ago, and the Experienced Rider course about a year ago, and I was glad I did. I treat every ride as practice, but having someone to tell you stuff you didn't know you were doing wrong is well worth a couple hundred bucks and a half a day of training.

On a side note, my favorite Youtube channel is MC Rider. Kevin Morris is a MSF trainer out of Fort Worth who has a whole series of videos for beginners, and a new video every week on various safety topics. His philosophy is get and keep your crash-avoidance skills as sharp as you can, and then use strategies on the road that hopefully keep you from ever needing to employ those skills. Who can argue with that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
MSF safety course in 2008 after I bought my first motorcycle. Dodging traffic in the metro DC area has been my only repetitive training since.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
i just passed my skills test on a 700lb cruiser. Does that count? only one check. i touched the edge of the line during the swerve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had rode several years before taking beginner course training just this last year. I was appreciative of the intricate skill-work. Things like slow turns, proper hard braking, and obstacle avoidance. I would agree with it's nice having someone there to point things out, as I had definitely developed a few sloppy 'habits'.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,179 Posts
OK, because it has been a while since I posted this stuff.

I started riding a 50cc roller in 1993 to commute to work during the spring/summer/fall seasons, since I didn't have a parking space at work. (It was about 10 km one way, but I had to cross into a different country). I could ride the roller with my normal drivers license, so no motorcycle training was needed. I put more than 17000 km on the roller in 8 years.

In 2002, after getting divorced and moving, I decided to upgrade to a bigger bike and get a motorcycle license. This meant getting a permit and taking the basic motorcycle license course (4 hours of theory, 4 hours of manoeuvrers in a parking lot, and then another half-day of road/highway training). I decided on a 125ccm Honda and rode that for a couple of years, taking a safety course sponsored by my insurance company each year.

In 2004, I moved again which meant that I had to take a stretch of highway (Autobahn) to get to the city and to my office. The 125cc maxed out at about 90kmh, the same speed as most of the trucks on the motorway, and much slower that most of the cars. Trying to pass a truck was dangerous, and there was almost no alternative to the motorway (it would have taken me twice as long to get to the office). I decided to sell the 125 and buy a real motorcycle. I settled on the Suzuki GSX 1400, signed the papers, went back to the licensing office, got a permit for the unrestricted-A license, and repeated the whole process again: Basic course, parking lot manoeuvrers, road practice, etc. I passed the test about a week before my 40th birthday.

During that time, I was also active on a local motorcycle forum (in addition to this one) and we organized day trips and safety courses. Between 2004 and 2012, I would lead several practice sessions each year for new riders, teaching them how to pass the license test (primarily the proper technique to do the slow-speed manoeuvrers). It was a lot of fun and I got to meet many cool people. I also continued to take safety trainings offered by my insurance company each year for several years.

In 2012 my wife and I decided to build a house and move again. We moved across the border again (from Switzerland to Germany), and I also changed jobs so that I wasn't working in Switzerland any more. I sort of lost touch with the forum and was busy with other things. The forum itself is gone now, sadly.

I haven't taken (or led) any more trainings since 2012, but I still try to get out on my bike as much as possible during the summer - sadly, with so many responsibilities (when you own a home, there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done) and other hobbies (we have an 18-month old granddaughter now, I am the president of a martial arts club, I work full-time and travel 2 to 3 weeks per month on business, and I have been learning to play bass guitar since October last year), I don't get to ride as much as I would like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(replyng to Divine Chaos, still getting the hang of how this forum works)
Nice. My Boulevard is probably close to 700 lbs with my add-ons and all the junk in the saddlebags, so riding it in the advanced course was totally different than doing the beginner course on the 250's they supply. Only dropped her once though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IF.....you use the "reply with quote" button and edit down the quote, it will be obvious who and what you are replying TO. :bluethum:
Thanks, Easy. I figured that out later. I'm starting to get the hang of this, but the site has been acting funny for me. I think it's getting more normal now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
(replyng to Divine Chaos, still getting the hang of how this forum works)
Nice. My Boulevard is probably close to 700 lbs with my add-ons and all the junk in the saddlebags, so riding it in the advanced course was totally different than doing the beginner course on the 250's they supply. Only dropped her once though.
yea, i came close to dropping once. just throttled out.

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
My last "training" was the last time I rode. Every time I ride.

When I was young......back in the dark ages.......unfortunately I learned some bad habits and now need to practice un-learning them whenever I ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My last "training" was the last time I rode. Every time I ride.
That's my philosophy too. I still consider myself a rookie, with only about 3 years in the saddle, and I'm always reminding myself the right way to do things. And if I pass an empty parking lot, I often pull in just to practice a few swerves or U-turns or hard stops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On a side note, my favorite Youtube channel is MC Rider. Kevin Morris is a MSF trainer out of Fort Worth who has a whole series of videos for beginners, and a new video every week on various safety topics. His philosophy is get and keep your crash-avoidance skills as sharp as you can, and then use strategies on the road that hopefully keep you from ever needing to employ those skills. Who can argue with that?
I am a big fan and supporter of Kevin. I watch his videos every Saturday morning. They have helped me a lot.

I took the MSF basic course in 2017, so I am probably due for the experienced rider course with my 900 lb Indian.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts