Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Battery finally died and no matter how much I charge it It never charges enough to crank the Bike. :aah:
I might have killed it by keeping the battery charger too long. The Charger does not have auto shutoff and I left it on for few days instead of overnight.

Now I am searching for the battery and wonder where to buy it from.
Any suggestions..?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I order mine from J&P Cycles online, and it only cost me about $40. But it comes without any battery acid, so you have to pay an auto parts store a couple bucks to fill it with acid, and then charge it overnight, before you can install it. Sort of a bother, especially if you need the bike runing right away.
If there is a Batteries Plus around you they have a better price than the dealer. The small Intruders use a fairly unique battery, so places like Wal-Mart and many auto parts stores don't carry them, but it might be worth it to call and check.

·
I took the All Bran Challenge
7,753 Posts
A battery tender is a good investment as it maintains the charge and does so at a slow rate. Did you top up your battery with distilled water?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Folks for the tips.
I didn't and I am afraid I screwed it further.. :-(

Despite Reading many posts about not trying to jump start it with another Battery I tried ...

I had a battery Jump starter for CAR (I bought it at BJ's) It could never start my Car so I though It is a small battery. I was wrong.

The Connectors were very hard to reach and conect to battery.. (Please do not laugh..) So I some how conected Positive terminal to the "charger connector" and negative to the body of the vehicle. Tried to start ... Something happend and the bike's starter was turning for few seconds but after than the Battery charger connector started to MELT .. now none of the lights go on for the bike.. With my tails between my legs I put the bike back and wonder What Did I damaged.. (Except the battery Charger connector) I hope it is some Fuse...

In the meanwhile I will try to fill in distilled water during my tries to buy new battery. I lost so many riding days because of this screw up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Born2Ride said:
Thanks Folks for the tips.
I didn't and I am afraid I screwed it further.. :-(

Despite Reading many posts about not trying to jump start it with another Battery I tried ...

I had a battery Jump starter for CAR (I bought it at BJ's) It could never start my Car so I though It is a small battery. I was wrong.

The Connectors were very hard to reach and conect to battery.. (Please do not laugh..) So I some how conected Positive terminal to the "charger connector" and negative to the body of the vehicle. Tried to start ... Something happend and the bike's starter was turning for few seconds but after than the Battery charger connector started to MELT .. now none of the lights go on for the bike.. With my tails between my legs I put the bike back and wonder What Did I damaged.. (Except the battery Charger connector) I hope it is some Fuse...

In the meanwhile I will try to fill in distilled water during my tries to buy new battery. I lost so many riding days because of this screw up.
:/ at the very least, you blew a fuse, relay, or solenoid. at the very worst, you melted wires and shorted out your entire electrical system. hopefully it is a fuse! get out the multimeter and start combing through the electrical system (wires, coils, regulators, etc)

by the way, walmart has ever-start batteries for around $30 WITH battery acid. they work great, and i couldn't believe the price.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I'd get a maintenance-free model from Batteries Plus. They offer fantastic warranty service.

You probably blew a fuse. How many amps is the starter rated?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the replies.
Everlast Option sounds easy enough as I often visit Walmart.. Heck I will check it now Online... With multimeter .. I need to buy one !! I will try to stock up on the Tools .. As I plan to ride more .. Will keep posting my adventures .. I have whole Winter to fix it... I just bought it last year and I keep thinking why didn't I buy it a bit earlier.... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts