Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a student in college with very little money but I want to buy a motorcylce. I'm looking for a 650 Savage because I've heard good things about them and they're typically more economical than others. I'm 5'9'" weighing around 130, and will be driving mostly in town. From what I've heard the savage can fill all my needs, but advise from seasoned riders would be appriciated. I'm looking for something at or preferable below $2000, and something I wont become bored with for the next three or so years. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
:welcomes:

If you are new to riding, I'd recommend starting out with something in the 250 or 500 cc class. A Ninja 250 is $3000 new and can give you plenty of room to grow as well as learn how to ride safely. These can be had used for very affordable prices.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
A Savage should be fine and as a teenager insurance would be better than a sports bike. But hey, sit on allot of bikes and figure out which bike works for you. I will say though keep the cc’s down, you can always upgrade later.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
For a small cruiser around $2K used, the Suzuki 650 Savage, Honda VLX 600 Shadow, Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD, and Yamaha Virago 535 would all be worth looking at. All are tame for the first-time rider, yet capible of everyday use. All are available in large numbers used, often with very low miles. All have a reputaion for being good bikes. The Shadow would be my top pick, but you can't really go wrong with any of them. Pick the one you like best, or the one you find the best deal on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
DrBob said:
For a small cruiser around $2K used, Honda VLX 600 Shadow, worth looking at. All are tame for the first-time rider, yet capible of everyday use. All are available in large numbers used, often with very low miles. All have a reputaion for being good bikes. The Shadow would be my top pick, but you can't really go wrong with any of them. Pick the one you like best, or the one you find the best deal on.
I'd have to agree with the Doctor; i had the vlx 600 for my first bike. Its low to the ground, a plus for your size, and great to learn on. I traded mine in after about 3 years or so for 2500. it was mint when i traded in so one with more miles will probably be cheaper. Enjoy and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I will definately check out the vlx 600, there's a honda dealership here in town. I can't get away from the classic look of the savage though, it really embodies the old school cruiser style. I guess I have a lot of sitting to do :)

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Benjaminray said:
I guess I have a lot of sitting to do :)
Wiser words were never spoken. :bluethum:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ahh. The 650 cc single. They are a mystery to me. I've been running twins as long as I've had my endorsement. We do have a single and I'll admit it is feisty on the take off (Suzuki GZ 250). Of course, you have the final say so as it is your tail on the line. But take your time to decide. Sit your butt on a number of choices and go from there. The Japanese bikes will not steer you wrong. We still have the 1st bike we ever bought. It is an antique, it is licensed as a daily rider (no antique license with all those restrictions) and has been extremely reliable. (1981 Honda CM400e). You choose. I am intrigued with Suzuki S40s, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts