Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've sold my old Sportster earlier this year and now I'm in the market for another ride.

I'm looking at these bikes:

1. Versys 650
2. Vulcan S
3. Vulcan 900

I really like the cruiser look but don't like the heavy handling and poor suspension and corner clearance.

The Versys seams to be the ticket but I don't like the height and the Astro-boy looks.

The Vulcan S seems like a good compromise. It's quicker, lighter, has sportier handling. Kinda looks like a cruiser. But it has that "Wife's Bike" stigma.

Our roads are a bit on the rough side. Good shocks, brakes and nimble handling are a huge plus due to the poor traffic condition.

What do you guys recommend besides staying in the car? Lol

thanks

lors

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Vulcan 900 Custom

But if you like the S you should forget about any "stigma" you think it has.
It doesn't.....except among A-holes who don't know any better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vulcan 900 Custom

But if you like the S you should forget about any "stigma" you think it has.
It doesn't.....except among A-holes who don't know any better.
Yeah the 900 definitely gets a solid A for looks and on a smooth highway, there's nothing better.

Unfortunately, our roads here aren't exactly smooth, free of errant pedestrians, orderly. And sometimes a cruiser isn't exactly ideal if you just want a quick ride to the corner store.

I had a KTM Duke 690 once. Great bike for that situation. For looks and the long smooth highway tho...

So something in the middle would be fantastic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Depends where you are...the best bike for you is the one that gives you the biggest grin...and dont let other peoples opinions spoil that.
To be honest, the only type of bike I don't like are dirt bikes, 4cyl sportsbikes and very big adventure bikes.

I haven't tried midweight adventure tourers like the Versys and to be honest I'm curious.

If money were no object, I'd be choosing among these:

1. Ducati Scrambler
2. Triumph Bonneville
3. BMW F800GS
4. Ducati GT1000

Too bad they're all about $3-5000 more expensive (in my country).

As of now, I have it ranked like this:

1. Vulcan S
2. VN 900
3. Versys

Special mention:

Husqvarna Strada 650

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Yeah the 900 definitely gets a solid A for looks and on a smooth highway, there's nothing better.
Note that the CUSTOM is a slightly different bike.
Mag wheels and pegs instead of boards.

Anything that handles good is fine for a ride to the corner store.

What country are you in ??

Sounds to me like you need a "standard". Too bad that there aren't many being made anymore.
The Kaw Eliminator 600 from the mid '80s was an excellent bike.
So are the V45/V65 v-quads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Note that the CUSTOM is a slightly different bike.
Mag wheels and pegs instead of boards.

Anything that handles good is fine for a ride to the corner store.

What country are you in ??

Sounds to me like you need a "standard". Too bad that there aren't many being made anymore.
The Kaw Eliminator 600 from the mid '80s was an excellent bike.
So are the V45/V65 v-quads.
I'm from the Philippines. Roads aren't all that great. Traffic can be crazy, like the pedestrians. Something more nimble and light is a huge plus.

I started on a standard, actually.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I know someone with a Ducati scrambler and he has spent a few thousand on upgrades that, IMO, should have been standard on a more costly alternative to the main three Jap bike offerings. Triumph retro bikes tend to be heavy and have so so performance...ergo why they bumped them up to 1200's I know another guy with the Beemer and he's happy enough with the way it performs, in fact it would be the best of the bunch if I had to choose. Maybe a used one may be the way to go?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know someone with a Ducati scrambler and he has spent a few thousand on upgrades that, IMO, should have been standard on a more costly alternative to the main three Jap bike offerings. Triumph retro bikes tend to be heavy and have so so performance...ergo why they bumped them up to 1200's I know another guy with the Beemer and he's happy enough with the way it performs, in fact it would be the best of the bunch if I had to choose. Maybe a used one may be the way to go?
Yeah good point.

Issue with the Euro brands is also maintenance cost.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
One of the engineers at my work owns a Versys. He got it a year after I got my 650R. He rides the piss out of that bike. He's well over 30k miles and shows no signs of stopping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the engineers at my work owns a Versys. He got it a year after I got my 650R. He rides the piss out of that bike. He's well over 30k miles and shows no signs of stopping.
Is your friend tall? One issue mentioned is that it has a high seat. I'm only 5'9".

Used to have a KTM Duke 690 tho but that was a much smaller bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm from the Philippines. Roads aren't all that great. Traffic can be crazy, like the pedestrians.
and jeepneys, and tricycles, Victory Liner, Pantranco (oops! that was 30 years ago :lol: ), Mitsubishi Van look alike, etc. :razz:

Our rural roads in New Mexico are rough in places. I ride a 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII full tourer. When I replaced the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) front fork springs with aftermarket Progressive Springs made a huge difference in steering, braking and riding comfort. Previous owner replaced rear shocks with Progressive Spring shocks. Both make rough riding roads much more comfortable on this heavy bike.

As of now, I have it ranked like this: 1. Vulcan S, 2. VN 900, 3. Versys .... The Vulcan S seems like a good compromise. It's quicker, lighter, has sportier handling. Kinda looks like a cruiser. But it has that "Wife's Bike" stigma.... Something more nimble and light is a huge plus.
Regarding "Wife's Bike Stigma", I didn't think Philippines would have that. Here, some call the Harley Sportster the "Skirtster", yet I have male friends who own and love their Sportster. I never thought of the Vulcan S as a woman's bike. I guess if push came to shove, later you could add a sidecar and convert the bike to a tricycle. :hry:

You may to check into options including aftermarket upgrades for the bike you're thinking of getting. Sometimes simply replacing shocks with better quality ones can make a big difference. A lot depends on what is available where you are at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts