Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So guys little backstory. I started riding just about 8 months ago when I went out and bought a 1990 GSX600F for a couple hundred bucks. It had 50k miles and it needed some work. I put some money into it unlkike the previous owner and got it running well and drove it through the summer and it was an excellent experience and it seemed like a very good bike to learn on, very forgiving if you will. One thing that bothered me is how much crap I would get when I would join in on a bunch of bikers on the rode just to strike up some conversation. I never had a problem keeping up with any of them. Sure it wasn't a super bike but it did just fine in a friendly 30-100 with my buddies ZX-6R 636.

Honestly I'm not really changing my mind about the bike and I'm trying to find a 1990-94 GSX750 with low miles for my next bike. What's everybody's problem with the Katanas?

·
Registered
677 Posts
They were probably jealous. Katanas are more comfortable than the full on rockets...except for maybe a busa. Those are supposed to be pretty nice riding bikes.

Don't listen to the haters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I had no problem with the hour commute back to my home town multiple times a week. No wrist or back pain.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah I had no problem with the hour commute back to my home town multiple times a week. No wrist or back pain.
I commute an hour one way to work 4 times a week. My m50 doesn't give me any problems either. If anything, my face gets tired from smiling!

Wouldn't trade it for ANY rocket...maybe a busa though. Haha

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've noticed over the years motorcycling is becoming more and more cliquish. These riders don't acknowledge those riders and so on. Don't know why we all ride just different bikes and different styles.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Busa's are surprisingly easy to ride and comfortable....seat is a bit crappy for rides over 500k's but an Airhawk seat cover is the way to go. One thing about the Busa is it is heavy and does not like going slow round the twisties and as such is an experienced riders bike. In a straight line?...just make sure you are holding on tight if you wring its neck....LOL!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've noticed over the years motorcycling is becoming more and more cliquish. These riders don't acknowledge those riders and so on. Don't know why we all ride just different bikes and different styles.
Weird isn't it?

I give everybody a wave when riding, we're all more alike than we appear to be. We do it for the joy of riding, and because we can't help ourselves. It's just who we are, really.

When they don't wave back sometimes I give them the Forrest Gump. Full on goofy a$$, silly grin kind of wave. It's hilarious.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Busa's are surprisingly easy to ride and comfortable....seat is a bit crappy for rides over 500k's but an Airhawk seat cover is the way to go. One thing about the Busa is it is heavy and does not like going slow round the twisties and as such is an experienced riders bike. In a straight line?...just make sure you are holding on tight if you wring its neck....LOL!
Most bikes could use an aftermarket seat anyways. I would love to find a nice used one for the right price, just to have for a couple years as a weekend toy.

The only thing I don't like about the m50...it's slooooow. Can burn the average car at a stop light if you need to, but not much after that. It'd be nice to have a bike that I know will put the shame on every cage out there, no matter the situation. That's gotta be a nice feeling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Most bikes could use an aftermarket seat anyways. I would love to find a nice used one for the right price, just to have for a couple years as a weekend toy.

The only thing I don't like about the m50...it's slooooow. Can burn the average car at a stop light if you need to, but not much after that. It'd be nice to have a bike that I know will put the shame on every cage out there, no matter the situation. That's gotta be a nice feeling.
depending on where you live you might need a turbo bike to do that

I've taken down some harleys and choppers in my daily driver. I kinda felt bad for them.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
depending on where you live you might need a turbo bike to do that

I've taken down some harleys and choppers in my daily driver. I kinda felt bad for them.
do an 800 mile day on you katana and then you'll know why i own a harley.
but if i was bored and had money to burn. a 124 crate motor with supercharger will put me well over 180 hp/200tq with off the shelf parts. try that level of upgrade with any other brand of bike. or perhaps the turbo 88ci sportsters are more to your liking (stupidly quick)

but why the heck would i need that on a cruiser. if i really wanted to go fast i'd put a deposit down on a ls-218 ( or any number of other race bikes).

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Traveling at 260 is fast....no need for any more...even though it can easily be done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've ridden a victory and I do know what you mean. So easy to just ride and not have to think about anything. But the speed freak in me just says its not enough.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm guessing Y2K but you've noticed things seem to repeat themselves on these forums. Oil, tires, the wave all come around again and again; just go with it. :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
What's everybody's problem with the Katanas?
First it is not EVERYBODY and second expressing a personal preference for some other bike is not "hate".

If they weren't selling any, they wouldn't be making them anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First it is not EVERYBODY and second expressing a personal preference for some other bike is not "hate".

If they weren't selling any, they wouldn't be making them anymore.
Insulting someone because of their bike or insulting someone's bike is hate actually. If you don't like a bike you should keep it to yourself. I don't go around telling people with 250s that they're slow. In my experience I was the only one out of my friends that had bikes that ever got some kind of crap. Is it a coincidence that I was the only one with a katana, probably not.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Stirring up crap where none really exists is hate.
Stop it.

After your last two posts here, I strongly suspect that any real hate that existed was against you personally and not your bike.

I don't really like that style of bike either but I don't "hate" it.
I do, however, hate people who act like dicks, no matter what they ride.

:fight1:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got done saying that I'm not a dick. I am almost always friendly when I ride. Constantly complementing cool bikes I see, and I don't try to impress or drive like a dick. I've only even raced one other motorcycle and it was my buddies zx-6r because he begged me too. I knew it wasn't going to be a competition.

I'm well spoken and calm so I'm not sure whats leading you to think I'm a dick. All I've done is ride my kat to and from college keeping my wallet happy and wondering why I got so many sneers and sarcastic remarks from friends of friends about my bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts