Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy at work. bought a new Vespa scooter about three months ago. Its a 250 cc scooter (I think). Before he bought it I suggested that he look around and either get a small lightweight motorcycle, or get a more powerful scooter. He spent about 6000 bucks on it, and only got 250 cc. Geezus...for that kind of money he could have got something better such as a motorcycle: like a 500cc bike, or he could have got a Burgman (maybe up to 650 cc) which is one of the best scooters there is right now.

Why would he get a 250cc Vespa ?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
LOL!

To be honest, I thought the same thing at first too. However, there's actually a fairly large group of them in NYC and they take their "style" of biking seriously.

Many of them have opted for smaller (50 cc) scooters which they then modify with an odd assortment of stuff to get them up to 90 or better cc's.

A whole slew of them (30 or more) meet regularly and have a Wed night short ride & then a 120+ mile Sunday ride which they do each week. All of it on little automatic scooters that can hit around 80 mph.

They're big into promoting wearing gear and I see them when I'm out on rides. Trust me...these boys & girls do a lot of miles.

I think it's a fear of shifting which keeps them from getting a real bike. Either that....or it's the economy. Those things can get 70 or better miles per gallon.

·
Squirrel Target
658 Posts
Like most scooters, there are several reasons come to mind
1 -Automatic
2- Easy to mount (Step through design)
3- Storage (some can hold up to 2 helmets)
4 -Easy to maneuver in town, lightweight

Vespa from what I hear, is a very good scooter, but whith the old school "Retro Styling".

I don't care for the looks, but there are those that do.

Simular to a new cruiser, that wants to look like a '40s & '50s bike.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
So it's the Harley marketing mentality applied to metrosexuals?

·
Member Investigator
1,020 Posts
The amount of scooters in major metropolitan areas in Europe is overwhelming. I know in Rome they seem to outnumber cars 2 to 1, possibly more.

·
Squirrel Target
658 Posts
RowdyRed94 said:
Could be! The marketing could apply to any ride, if that's the mold your trying to fit into.

Posers
Squids
Metros
Any "Wanna Be" in General

Or, may you really like it, for what it is.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
I had Vespa when I was in the service... she was easy to mount. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RowdyRed94 said:
My bud from work..... he is a very Metro guy (he does like girls though). He checks out my bike and is amazed that I wanted it and not a scooter. I guess there is something for everybody. :roll:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Scooters are really popular in Hawaii. The 49cc models especially because per Hawaiian law, motorized bikes less than 50cc does not need to be insured or plated like a regular motorcycle. The big scooters are popular here too. Probably because they're easier to ride in congested traffic. Still, I can't help but wonder why some motorcycle riders want to diss this two-wheeled vehicle. I see it as a very practical mode of transportation which happens to be very fun to ride. I wouldn't mind adding a large scooter to my collection, perhaps a Silverwing or a Burgman.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could easily buy a motorcycle, or a beefed-up pacific rim knock-off scooter - but I chose the ever so sexy and elegant Vespa - and I thank myself every time I hop on board Sophia!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like most scooters, there are several reasons come to mind
1 -Automatic
2- Easy to mount (Step through design)
3- Storage (some can hold up to 2 helmets)
4 -Easy to maneuver in town, lightweight
My wife wants one too. Reason number 5 for the list "they're pretty" (if the I put your list in priority for her, 5 would be 1):lol4:
Yup, she found a pink one with a berberry (some crazy ass "must have" chick plaid) seats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a LX50 that belonged to my brother. Must say that it is quite handy and the maintenance is not expensive.

Plus, I plan to make a trip to Barcelona and for more independence,but also for economic reasons (instead of paying the taxi 3-4times per day for short distances), I found a vespa rental agency -vesping.com and I will rent a scooter with a gps integrated system... and am free to wander through the city.

Can't explain why someone would be willing to pay 6000$ for a scooter instead of a car or motorcycle, but I think that a scooter in comparison to a motorcycle can be more effective in everyday life.
That's just my opinion !

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Scooters are good tools to learn street smarts. I used a couple because I wasn't allowed to own a bike when I lived at home and couldn't afford a bike after I moved out. Scooters are cheap to buy, that is if you don't buy a Vespa. It's a lot easier to learn cornering and handling if you don't need to think about shifting. Many cycle riders started on mopeds and mini bikes but don't think to mention that when slamming a guy on scooter. I took quite a bit of crap while I was riding my Burgman. Funny that I don't hear about it anymore since I got the 109.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts