Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, please be gentle ;)

I own an s50 but I really like the style of the s40 tank, it has the speedometer mounted in the tank which removes the clutter from the handlebar area and the sporty offset gas cap. I know anything is possible, but do you guys know if these two tanks are interchangeable? I have seen the s40 tank up close and I have to say it looks really similar in shape.

If I did go from the s50's 3.2 gallon tank down to the s40's 2.8 gallon tank I wonder how much I would suffer in gassing up. I already hit the gas station every 90 miles (when I hit reserve) as it is, although I use it for daily commute of about 7 miles (one-way) so it isn't too much of a bother truthfully.

Additionally, if it is possible to change out the tank, the speedometer would be a concern as it would need to be changed as well. Is there anything I need to do in regards to registering the change of the odometer reading with the dmv (california)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
They do not interchange, but if you can weld you can make anything fit. You'll need to weld on a new front mount and rear mounting tab to the tank, and probably have to make some other mods, as the S40 tank is shorter and will leave a gap between the seat and tank. Removing the S50 speedo leaves an unsightly mounting base, but you can cover it with something. The speedo cup base also contains the dash lights, so you'll have to do something with those. Inside the S50 speedo cup you'll find a bunch of wires, for the warning lights, signal indicators, etc, so you'll have to do some rewiring also. Your best bet is an electronic speedo rather than the mechanical one from the S40, as routing the cable is anissue on the S50 because the coolant tannk and front air box are in the way. It is posible- I installed a Harley tank onto an S83 for a guy, which is similar, complete with dash speedo and lights, but it was a pain.

As for the odo, if you replace your's you have to check the box on the title and registration forma that say the odo is not accuare and the true mileage is unknown, which hurts resale value. But that is not a big deal when we are talking about a 6 year old Japanese bike that it sounds like you have no plans to sell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DrBob, thanks for the info. I planned on purchasing a separate speedo from the tank, so that should be easy enough to rectify the lights in the speedo issue.

With what you said, it seems that it wouldn't be the simplest mod. If that is the case, I might as well try finding a closer in length tank (to avoid the gap between seat and tank) that has the mounted speedometer and a bigger gas capacity than the s40's. You mentioned the Harley tank you put on an s83, do you know of any tanks that might work well on the s50 and have similar aesthetics to the s40's?

Thanks again, and glad to find some quick responses to questions!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
C50 tank?
Not even close. Won't fit the frame, too fat, too long, different mount, and the S50 is not fuel injected so the big hole for the pump is an issue.

As for the Harley tank, I was able to weld up an aftermarket Fat Bob tank intended for a Dyna. I cut the bottom out of his stock tank and welded it to top of the HD tank, so he got the HD dash with the S83 frame tunnel. The S83 tank is longer than the S50, and we had to add mini apes to clear the tank with the bars turned to the extremes.
The thing to do is measure your S50 tank as far as length and height. Check out various catalogs and websites, like J&P Cycles, and find a tank that matches those figures as close as posible. They probably have a kit with the dash and lights also. If you need to, bring your stock tank and the new tank to a body shop and have them cut/ weld the two together like I did. If you just have them do the metal work, then do the filling/ sanding/ painting yourself it will not cost much. Cutting up a stock tank is not hard (Article Here on my website, but of course you'd cut the other way) and painting with spray cans for Color rite is easy also (Article HERE on my website).

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I doubt that would be a good choice. The C50's dash includes the FI light, a digital fuel guage, and other things that are incompatable with the S50. What he needs is a basic dash with a hole for a speedo and 4 simple warning lights he can hook up to match the factory wiring on his S50: neutral light, oil light, high beam indicator, and a temp light. Most cheap Harley style aftermarket dash kits fit this for about $70, though they generally have only three warning lights, neutral, oil, and high beam. But a simple red LED can take the place of the temp warning light on the water cooled S50, or wire one directional indicator to both sides (like the factory does in the stock speedo) and put a red lens in the other for a temp light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts