Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 and am planning on winterizing it. The previous owner always used Repsol synthetic in the bike. I have been looking at what to do to winterize the bike and most say to drain the oil and refill with new before storage. Then empty again before driving in the spring. Is this necessary with synthetic oil cause this will cost me a small fortune just to store it? Can I store the bike with normal oil and then refill with synthetic in the spring? Any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
most say to drain the oil and refill with new before storage. Then empty again before driving in the spring. Is this necessary
In a word: NO.

Those instructions are for LONG TERM storage, like years, not just a few months.

One change will be plenty.
If it is not due on mileage, I don't even do that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hold the Armorall!

Here's a winter checklist. It's a little bit of over kill, but it has some good info. Motorcycle Winter Storage Check List The whole website is great. I wouldn't drain the carbs for winter storage, but you don't have to worry about carbs.
There's one bit of insanity in the list - NEVER Armorall your tires unless you have an uncontrollable desire to amuse your neighbors first time you go riding again. Armorall makes your tires slippery, and if you insist on slippery tires, you will drop your bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The only thing that I may do is add stabilizer to the fuel. I'm trying to ride it at least 2 times a month to keep the battery charged and fluids running. Its a high of 35 deg right now but friday looks like 56, a decent day to get a 30 min ride in...oh ya, and never put armorol on the tires...lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with Easy Rider. Synthetic motorcycle oil is expensive, and I've had no problems only changing it at required intervals. If I was putting a lot of miles on my bikes (or one particular bike) I would also change the oil before every winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts