Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! I'm in the process of turning my gs650 into a cafe/brat and I recently deleted the fender and relocated my tail lights and got a new tail light. It's a 9 LED bar light that I'd like to use.

Now, the issue I'm having is that there are 3 wires coming from the bike and 2 on the new light. When I wired the two obvious power ones to the positive and black to black the light runs as it should as a running light, but will not light up more when the brake is applied.

After noticing this I started to brainstorm and thought a good idea would be, since it's not going to light up any brighter, to make the light flash when the brake is applied.

So my question is, based off the 2 power wires (White: running; Brown: brake) how would I wire in a device to make it flash? I've heard of people using 555's to make lights flash, but I am just unsure how to wire it in properly. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
I think you need to get the basics working first before you start modifying anything.
The two wires you have on the "fixture" likely are both "hot" wires, one for tail light and one for stop and you need to rig up a frame ground wire if it isn't going to be mounted to a metal part of the frame.

The 3rd wire coming from the bike IS ground and you need to extend that to the frame of your new fixture.

P.S. Brake lights that constantly flash are illegal in many (most/all?) places.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agree with Easy. Get it working properly first. If you want the brake to flash, just wire in a brake light modulator. I have one that is designed to blink for 2 seconds and then steady. Constant brake flashing will only get you unwanted LEO attention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Side note, DR. If you also decide to change your turn signals to LED, you'll need to change the flash relay to an LED compatible device to prevent "hyper-flashing", which is also illegal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts