Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad, 2013 Triumph Speedmaster
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I fitted two LED driving lights onto the lightbar of my 2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600, and am now trying to wire them up. For now, I am going to wire them up on an independent circuit directly from the battery (not tieing them into a switched power source such as my headlight, but may do that later). For this, I bought a wiring kit with a relay and switch.

I thought this would be pretty straightforward (haha), but immediately came upon a hurdle...the wiring harness has both a red (power) and black (ground) wire for each driving light, but the driving lights each have only one (the red power) wire coming out of it - the ground (black) wire is already attached to a grounding point riveted in the shell of the light.

So, my question is, what do I do with the ground wires coming from the harness? Do I even need to connect them to anything since the driving lights themselves are already grounded? I connected both red and black wires on the other end of the harness/relay to the battery, but when I switched the lights on nothing lit up. I am doing something wrong, but don't know what. Thanks for any assistance. Edit: Here's a pic to show my confusion.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
The housing of your new lights might not be bolted to a frame member that is connected to negative battery.
What happens if you touch that black wire to the housing......or that mounting bolt shown in the picture ?
A voltmeter would be REALLY helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The housing of your new lights might not be bolted to a frame member that is connected to negative battery.
What happens if you touch that black wire to the housing......or that mounting bolt shown in the picture ?
A voltmeter would be REALLY helpful.
Thank you Easy Rider, appreciate your input here. I will try that, and agree, I will get a voltmeter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Easy Rider, appreciate your input here. I will try that, and agree, I will get a voltmeter.
Easy Rider, just letting you know that your suggestions were spot on! I found my multimeter I had bought a couple of years ago, and was able to find a bad connection in my wiring. Got that fixed, and tried the lights again. Nothing, until I touched the ground wires that came with the relay on the mounting bolts you had mentioned and lights on! Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts