Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just sold my 2014 yamaha vstar to a buddy that has never been on a motorcycle. His second day on it I stopped in to go on a ride. He didn't want to ride with me cause he kills it and didn't wanna be embarrassed but I talked him into it. He is having an issue downshifting to first when coming to a stop. I watched it happen, it's like the shifter just won't click down. If he stops and rolls it backwards it will then downshift. I NEVER had this problem and it's not every time, just about 50% of the time. I'm wondering if he might have messed something up downshifting into first at too high of speed and not rev matching? Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
This can also be a sign of a dragging clutch.......or the rider not fully pulling the lever.

Also, should do that final shift while still just barely rolling.

If you pause in N, a slight rev of the engine can help get to 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This can also be a sign of a dragging clutch.......or the rider not fully pulling the lever.

Also, should do that final shift while still just barely rolling.

If you pause in N, a slight rev of the engine can help get to 1.
That's could be the cause of the issue, he is super new at riding, but what would the issue be that's making it not letting it make that final shift down?

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
That's could be the cause of the issue, he is super new at riding, but what would the issue be that's making it not letting it make that final shift down?
ALL, or most all, motorcycle transmissions can be finicky when trying to shift at a standstill because there are no "synchronizers" in there.
If all the parts have stopped moving and they don't line up, then something has to move a little.
This is a VERY common problem for new riders, no matter what make and model of bike.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Also the lever must fully return to allow it to engage corectly in the shift drum. Footwear can sometimes stop this happening as can the lever position.

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
Also the lever must fully return to allow it to engage corectly in the shift drum. Footwear can sometimes stop this happening as can the lever position.
Good catch.
Forgot about that one.

That is more often a problem when shifting UP though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So we tore the cover off and that bolt in question is not loose at all. Everything seems to be tight and good, no shavings, ground or loose anything. So I'm not sure where to go from here

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
So we tore the cover off and that bolt in question is not loose at all. Everything seems to be tight and good, no shavings, ground or loose anything. So I'm not sure where to go from here
What bolt in question ?
Maybe what you should do next is..............nothing.
Unless and until you can verify that the problem really IS with the machine and not with the rider.
Have you ridden it for any length of time to see if YOU have the problem too ?

Some bikes I've owned were more finicky in that regard than others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What bolt in question ?
Maybe what you should do next is..............nothing.
Unless and until you can verify that the problem really IS with the machine and not with the rider.
Have you ridden it for any length of time to see if YOU have the problem too ?

Some bikes I've owned were more finicky in that regard than others.
That is exactly what I told him. I wanna drive it and see if it happens with me. Probably should have started with that but I live in northern mn and it's been garbage weather

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
An oil change can sometimes help with hard shifting but usually this is manifest by all gears being difficult and clunking more than usual. Is this a shaft drive bike....maybe the final drive pinion needs lubricating....although why it would just affect 1st is a bit of a mystery...same for a chain drive....too tight makes shifting difficult, but again, across all gears usually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts