Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I did it. Last week I laid over my new ride. I was traveling down a two lane road near my house that I have been down literally thousands of times.
There were three cages in front of me about 80 feet ahead. I passed a speed limit sign (35 mph), glanced down to check my speed between (30 and 35 mph) , looked up and all three cages had slammed on their brakes.
I stepped on the brake, I guess I panicked a bit and grabbed the front brake too hard, heard the tires squeal, bike laid over on the left side, where I graciously (snicker) made my exit.
Either before or after I stopped rolling, I was sliding on my ass. where I saw my scoot sliding towards a ditch. I thought to my self "this is gonna suck" .
I stood up picked up some stuff that had came out of my bags. I bent down to pick up a can of Copenhagen snuff. Placed it in my back left jeans pocket it fell out. I picked it backup, placed it back in the pocket. It again fell out. While sliding on my ass the snuff can and pocket had taken the brunt of it. It rubbed a near perfect circle in the left rear pocket of my jeans. CRAP! My favorite pair too!
Got the bike up off the road. Put it neutral. Fired her up. Cool we are good. I looked the left highway bar was bent and the saddle bag bracket was bent. No worries, easy fixes.
As I stepped back to examine the bike more closely I began to feel pressure on my left leg. Oh CRAP!
Turns out I now have a broken lateral tibial plateau.
Two more weeks on crutches and a knee brace.
After that we increase the range of motion and hopefully I will be back riding soon.
Talking to few people I have known for years the common thing they said is "you ride long enough you are going to lay it over eventually. Its not when its how bad."
So I'm glad I got mine out of the way now. No ones fault but mine, I over braked. Period.
So for the next few weeks I will be reviewing the repair manual for my bike.
Not because its damaged or broken down, but hell I cant ride, I may as well increase my knowledge of the Boulevard.

Ok I shared,,who is next? Come on I cannot be the only one who has laid one over.

PICS to Follow.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I did my first accident at 21 after spending the winter customizing my 450 Honda Hawk. Two friends and I went for a ride one Saturday right after I put it all back together and on the way home I made a stupid rookie mistake. I looked behind me in the middle of a long sweeping turn to check on my friend. There was a forest truck and then Gilbert following me and they saw it happen. When I turned back to forward I was running off the road directly into a large cement embankment too late to do anything. I went over the handlebars protecting my bare head with my arms. I hit the road rolled and continued to roll trying to use up the energy. I was a gymnast in high school and that kept me relatively unhurt. After I was on my feet I went to the bike and turned it off to stop the blaring horn. The two forest rangers were shacking badly and my tall Mexican friend was as white as a sheet. Two weeks later I was back on the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cement embankment had me worried there for a bit. Sounds as if you got lucky on that one.I lost a buddy a few years back his footboard caught the pavement in a cloverleaf interchange. Sent him flying into a concrete divider. No helmet.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm sure there was some luck in involved,, but I was a good athlete and as a gymnast I was strong with good body control. The worst crash I suffered was riding dirt. Again over the bars but at 45 and not so athletic that one hurt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have yet to wreck on street yet. "knock on wood". Plenty of times in motocross though. The reason the Pro's get back up so easily is because those dude's are true athletes. Have you seen there workouts?!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Never wear your favorite jeans.:mrgreen:
On a side note, your actual speed (within reason) compared to what's posted is not really as important as paying attention to your surroundings.
That was where you made your mistake more so than braking too hard, you panicked when you put your eyes back on the road and realized traffic had stopped in front of you.
:whistle:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never wear your favorite jeans.:mrgreen:
On a side note, your actual speed (within reason) compared to what's posted is not really as important as paying attention to your surroundings.
That was where you made your mistake more so than braking too hard, you panicked when you put your eyes back on the road and realized traffic had stopped in front of you.
:whistle:
in hind sight your are exactly right. I have had three week on crutches now to drive that point home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I go to the doctor tomorrow. praying he will take the crutches away and give me just enough range of motion to get back on my scoot.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been down on dirt bikes more times than I can count. Never really hurt too much. But, I laid my 250 ninja over at 10mph in an intersection (spring time sand). That hurt. Grass vs slab...go figure.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I rode a Honda 500 Four around for 6 weeks with a cast on my right foot years ago after a crash.
Lucky it was my right foot,I could still shift with the left and brake with my right hand.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Laid it down

Last summer I was coming home on my 07 C50 I went around a curved ramp and just like that it felt like my front tired slid on some fine gravel or sand. The wheel slid out and I went down hard on my shoulder breaking my collar bone and we slid about 10 feet and got some road rash on my forarm and shoulder. Insurance company totalled the bike. I found an 06 C90 on Craigslist and had all the stuff (bags and fairing) and was back on the road in a couple of months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
all I did was bend the saddle bag bracket and the crash bar a bit. I was only running about thirty. its a month later and my leg is still not quite right. but screw it im riding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts