Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Bought a 1980 xs850 triple a while back and just had some time to work on it, got it running pretty good... Then I noticed the plug in for the stator was not pluged in to the regulator, so I pluged it in and a few minutes later it died... So I hooked up my ohms meter to it and jumped the bike to start it, and I can watch the volts on the battery drop. SOOOOO..
There must be an issue with the stator I'm thinking !!!!
Any feed back would help... And if it is the stator where can I find one, also I was told that the xs750 and the xs1100 stator would work. Is this true...

Thanks

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Hard to say where you could get one. Maybe the wiring harness to the stator is shorted?....long shot I know. I guess you know now why the stator was left unplugged.

My advice would be to remove your stator so you can check it against any you think may fit for physical size and bolt holes if any. It will probably need to be the same charging rate....unless you can source a regulator from the same model bike...may not work but worth a shot. Have you thought about a wreckers yard?

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
YOu can test the stator output without removing it.

Assuming it used the "standard" design, unplug the connector going to the stator.
Should be 3 wires.
The AC voltage between each pair of wires should be somewhere around 60 volts with the engine running.
That means making 3 measurements; one with each pair of output wires.
Measure on the wires going back into the stator.......NOT the ones going toward the rectifier.

Some older machines tended to overheat and damage the output connectors.
Check it for corrosion.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
You may want to pull the rotor off ....check the surfaces for rust and check it for magnetism. Failing that I would try a wreckers as mentioned....may find one that suits. Also do what Er said re the voltage output as a starting point. I have heard of people getting stators rewound so that may be an avenue to look for.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
(Don't Mind My Writing Please) Sounds Like You Needs A New Rectifier, That's What Keeps Your Battery Charged And If It's No Good Then Your Outta Luck, (But If Your Changing Your Rectifier You'll Probably Need To Change Your Stator And Gage At The Same Time) Also.. Maybe Check Your Fuses, You Might Need A New Main Fuse If There's Absolutely No Power (Been There Too)

·
Registered
5 Posts
You Need A New Rectifier.. But When You Change Your Rectifier You'll Also Have To Change Your Stator And Gage Otherwise You'll Only Get About 2 Months Of Riding Time More Or Less Depending On How Much You Ride. When You Take Your Crankcase Cover Off, You'll There Discover Your Stator And Gage. WoW, How'd That Get There? (The Only Difference Between You And I Is That I Had The Exact Same Issue With My Yamaha But I Rectified The Issues Myself Whereas You're Seeking Outside Help And Are Being Stubborn About It) Check On EBay For A New Stator /Rectifier/Gage/Gasket Kit, It'll Save You A Lot Of Money

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
You Need A New Rectifier.. But When You Change Your Rectifier You'll Also Have To Change Your Stator And Gage
This has gone way too far already.
IF......you refuse to answer my questions and respond to what I am saying......
your account will be deleted.

First......WHY does every word you post start with a capital letter ?
Second.....you don't KNOW what he needs. As a matter of fact, it turns out it was just a bad battery.
Third.....what is a "gage" ??

A reply to this post is required, either in public or private.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts