Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Girls,

Im looking to get back on two wheels after a long break so looking at a nice cheap bike till I find my feet again. I've seen a nice R6 however it's near Liverpool and I'm in London so trying to get as much remote information as possible. The current owner rides it daily and said he only had it a few months

The bike;
Yamaha R6 1999
12MOT
6k on the clock:shock:
15 previous owners
No service history

the he low mileage is what has me thinking hmmm

Does this alarm anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
12,606 Posts
No alarm here.

IF....it is being ridden daily AND it runs good it should be a good gamble......IF the price is right.

But any vehicle that old is a gamble.
Do not commit to buying anything sight-unseen without a test ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

It's not so much the age of the bike that I had concerns about it's the number of owners and the 6000 miles on the clock, I've not seen any bike that age with such low mileage

·
Super Moderator
12,606 Posts
Thanks for the reply

It's not so much the age of the bike that I had concerns about it's the number of owners and the 6000 miles on the clock, I've not seen any bike that age with such low mileage
You are over thinking this. Read my previous post again.

P.S. Please don't post the same question on here in more than one place.
I am deleting the other copy of this exact same question that you posted this afternoon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I posted in the other forum as I realized that this is the "bike for sale forum" and it's misleading

if you looked at the other post I asked what kind of things I should look out for as I have never seen a bike that age with 6k mileage

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I would be wary...also some Au bikes have been known to spin a main bearing...sometimes toasting the crank. That mileage is a bit sus IMO...actually 15 previous owners is very suspicious...I would steer clear of it. that's only 400 miles each what did they do? lose their licences for speeding??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be wary...also some Au bikes have been known to spin a main bearing...sometimes toasting the crank. That mileage is a bit sus IMO...actually 15 previous owners is very suspicious...I would steer clear of it. that's only 400 miles each what did they do? lose their licences for speeding??
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Being wary is one thing.
Dismissing it sight unseen is quite another.

If the price is right AND it appears to run good, it could be a really good deal.

I completely agree ""EasyRider" that's why I'm asking advice from people more experienced then myself on things I should look out for? It's £1500 BTW

·
Super Moderator
12,606 Posts
I completely agree ""EasyRider" that's why I'm asking advice from people more experienced them myself on things I should look out for? It's £1500
In this case, you should be looking to see that it is WAY over priced.
Right off the top of my head, I can't think of ANY 18 year old bike that I think is worth that price.

OK, well maybe some road machines that cost more than $20K when new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In this case, you should be looking to see that it is WAY over priced.
Right off the top of my head, I can't think of ANY 18 year old bike that I think is worth that price.

OK, well maybe some road machines that cost more than $20K when new.
ohh I looked on Parker's price guide and it says £1,500-£1,700 others from the same year are in this ball park just higher mileage than this bike

·
Super Moderator
12,606 Posts
ohh I looked on Parker's price guide and it says £1,500-£1,700 others from the same year are in this ball park just higher mileage than this bike
OK well look up that same model, or similar, and see what it sells for NEW.
And then see if you think that price is reasonable for one that is 18 years old.

And......which side of this "argument" are you going to settle on ?
Want the bike or don't want it ?? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
357 Posts
15 owners is a very large number for the mileage... and what is the 16th owners reason for getting rid of it?
That would be a concern for me too, 15 owners makes me think there's an issue no one's willing to spend time or money fixing. Even if it's a simple issue, there almost has got to be something wrong with this bike that doesn't show up in a short test ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would be a concern for me too, 15 owners makes me think there's an issue no one's willing to spend time or money fixing. Even if it's a simple issue, there almost has got to be something wrong with this bike that doesn't show up in a short test ride.
That makes a lot of sense and I've decided against it! I never thought of that thank you so much

1 - 16 of 16 Posts