Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ...

I am having problem with mt Yamaha T Max 2008 model as the fuel pum is malfunctional after 30 mins of riding. FYI, I had already changed the fuel pump sometimes last year and making things worst was the fuel pump was made in China, not made in Japan.

I had bought the new pump which is also made in China and it could only last you for a 1 year period only. Too bad as Yamaha T Max is a superb maxi scooter and I just cant understand why Yamaha Japan is not checking on this faulty fuel pump.

For other T Max riders out there, seeking your advise or assistant on this problem.

Thanking you guys in advance.

Jack

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a new 2009 yellow tmax a few weeks ago and thought I had fuel pump problems as the scooter would hesitate and bog down. I thought I had bad gas. Siphoned the gas and same problem. I noticed the dealership put too much oil in as I could never see the "line" in the sight glass. It was aways too high. I took out 20 ounces (over 1/2 quart) it ran better. The tech at another dealership indicated that almost all bikes coming over from Japan set the fuel a little lean to meet "emissions" requirement. He reprogrammed the "command module" to make the unit run richer. The Tmax now runs great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought a new 2009 yellow tmax a few weeks ago and thought I had fuel pump problems as the scooter would hesitate and bog down. . . . I noticed the dealership put too much oil in as I could never see the "line" in the sight glass. It was aways too high. I took out 20 ounces (over 1/2 quart) it ran better. . . .
Should you be able to "see the (oil) line in the sight glass" when the bike has been idle for hours (overnight)? The manual instructions state that you should check the oil level when the bike is cold by running it for ~2 mins, turn it off, wait 2 mins and check the level.

IMO, this appears to be an imprecise method for checking oil level because the instructions don't take into consideration the local temp which could vary considerably depending on your location and whether you are doing the oil change inside or outside(?).

When checking the oil level according to instructions, I prefer that the oil level be near the top of the glass -- the more clean oil avail (within range) for the engine and clutch, the better(?). When draining the oil, I place a small wooden wedge alternately under a leg of the center stand so as to drain as much old oil as poss (even with filter change) and I find that I must then add a few ounces more than specified in order to bring the oil level up near the top of the glass at the 2 minute interval. But, in the morning after sitting overnight, the oil level is above the top of the glass window...no line visible.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Should you be able to "see the (oil) line in the sight glass" when the bike has been idle for hours (overnight)? The manual instructions state that you should check the oil level when the bike is cold by running it for ~2 mins, turn it off, wait 2 mins and check the level.

IMO, this appears to be an imprecise method for checking oil level because the instructions don't take into consideration the local temp which could vary considerably depending on your location and whether you are doing the oil change inside or outside(?).

When checking the oil level according to instructions, I prefer that the oil level be near the top of the glass -- the more clean oil avail (within range) for the engine and clutch, the better(?). When draining the oil, I place a small wooden wedge alternately under a leg of the center stand so as to drain as much old oil as poss (even with filter change) and I find that I must then add a few ounces more than specified in order to bring the oil level up near the top of the glass at the 2 minute interval. But, in the morning after sitting overnight, the oil level is above the top of the glass window...no line visible.
basically when the bike stops running. oil pools up in the pan, so its no surprise that the level would be above the window when the bike has been sitting for hours.
the reason you check it after running the bike for a couple of minutes is to get the oil sloshed around the engine and not all sitting in the pan. the difference in oil temp between 50 deg outside and 100 deg outside is not going to make enough difference in the oil level to care about.

the important things are
is the bike level,
have you run the engine for at least a couple of minutes.
are you using the correct oil for the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
3 days after buying the 2011 tmax it goes dead !! like many forums say trapped heat. I can't believe the pump itself does after starting no problem on many runs.
in Asia you order from Yamaha at over 600.00 USD for each time and never can take long trips. after so many years and Yamaha still putting out the same junk ?
Who stocks these pumps and where can find someone to supply at reasonable prices.. If its a matter of letting it sit over night to get cool; then thats better than replacing each time.
I'm in Asia but if someone finds a source to stock these; you can be a major supply center for my bike guy who has changed out 10 of these on all Tmax's in the area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 days after buying the 2011 tmax it goes dead !! like many forums say trapped heat. I can't believe the pump itself does after starting no problem on many runs.
in Asia you order from Yamaha at over 600.00 USD for each time and never can take long trips. after so many years and Yamaha still putting out the same junk ?
Who stocks these pumps and where can find someone to supply at reasonable prices.. If its a matter of letting it sit over night to get cool; then thats better than replacing each time.
I'm in Asia but if someone finds a source to stock these; you can be a major supply center for my bike guy who has changed out 10 of these on all Tmax's in the area.
I'm having the same trouble with my 2007 mk2.
I had the fuel pump replaced under warranty by Yamaha UK in 2012. But I had to pay for labour charges.
All seemed ok but the same problem has come back. After riding for 40 mins plus and parking for an hour,, it refuses to start. It starts ok a few hours later.. I've now decided to buy a pump off Ebay for £30 and try and fit it myself. Yamaha pumps just seem unreliable.
To help me do it, I looked on youtube for Bigwheelsturning,, he's done a video. Funkycowie also did a photo tutorial on a usa maxiscoot site.
Luckily for me,, a mk2 doesn't need so many panels removing.
I'll see if this sorts the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes all tmaxes here have same problem. the the tank level gauge gets replaced. Battery up front ; poor design- to be replaced. The regulator gets hot often and won't charge in my 2012. Your dead to find a jumper cable till it cools off and you have to recharge. Surely there must be ez fixes or replacements for these known problems. Even drilling holes all over the fairing to keep things cool would be a help.

My Mc dealer says the best solution is get a Honda Forza. replace all parts in any accident for under 300.00 USD. it rides great and super power with the newer fuel injected but can't trust it to go out of town.

·
Registered
1 Posts

surprised to see that I'm not the only one to use a small wedge (alternately) under center stand legs and prefer oil level to be near top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts