Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tmax 500 :horse:

Man you sportbike enthusiast may have to look at what us Scooter dudes have known for sometime. My TMax is an awesome sportbike/scooter! Now before you say that is an oxymoron let me tell you my experience in contrast to the Majesty 400. I work at Motorcycle-Superstore dot com in Medford, OR - USA. Sometimes with the Majesty in the summer I would try to enter into traffic and it would sometimes lug and spit trying to get off the line while entering into traffic. A few times I thought I was toast with oncoming traffic which I barely escaped the friendly grills of trucks. I got news for you!!! The Yamaha TMax 500 is all about responsiveness and I have to thank the fuel injection system for that because when I want to giddyup I have nothing to fear...especially the grill of Mac Trucks. Go up and Google the TMax for the 1st and 2nd time and consider owning one. This scooter is a keeper for sure. Why not buy a Real Man's Sportbike? It is priced like a sportbike you say? It always goes back to the practicality of owning a scooter. You can shove tons of things from the store under your seat unlike a sportbike unless you buy side cargo bags. But hey, when my hand was recovering from surgery, I was still able to drive because it is an automatic so there is no need to clutch. And lastly, babes love it because they actually can sit on something you can really call a seat! So girls, if you are looking for a practical guy with a soft ride and comfortable at that...then lose the zero and gain this hero. It looks like a sportbike; stylishly decorated and handsomely carved around tight corners with plenty of power to pull out of a knee sliding parking lot...lol. Enjoy! --Greg

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Man you sportbike enthusiast may have to look at what us Scooter dudes have known for sometime.
Hey, DUDE.....if you really want to help us "see the light" you could have posted some links.

Only thing worse than a spammer is a lame, inept spammer! :madd:

Lots of lazy SOBs on here, me included. :shock: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
855 Posts
wow.. first post is like an add for sissies. that's like arguing for women to go with metrosexuals because they can get manicures together. Ditch the scooter - go buy a bike with gear ratios and you can control how fast you get away from those mac trucks. Spend 20 dollars on a bookbag and carry a bunch of the stuff you want to put in your little purses(yes im saying your argument that you have room to carry stuff is the same one my gf uses when she doesnt want to carry her purse, and i tell her just carry her wallet, and she claims she needs the space...) that are all over your scooter, or buy some nice saddle bags for a few hundred bucks and actually look good on it. there is no point to claiming the storage space is so unbelievable when it looks like a bunch of compartments from a my barbies first scooter. backpack or saddlebags cure that right up.

and last but not least you're forgetting about teh seating position. it looks like you sit in a position on the scooter where you're sitting down to pee. this goes right along with what I said earlier about this being kind of a girly bike due to your extra purse space.

(sorry i don't normally flame people, but considering this is clearly someone who signed up to promote (lazily as mentioned before) this scooter.. i figured i'd un promote right back, I am not anti scooter - just anti spammer)

·
Registered
4 Posts
PanJammi,, I also own the Yamaha TMAX and I LOVE it!
shhhhhh! don't tell anybody, its the best kept secret out there!
Only owned it for 2 weeks but the one big surprize is the excellent sportsbike handling and balance, I can take hairpin curves faster and more confident than my Yamaha FZ6
I find myself when stopped at a red light balancing the TMAX without my feet on the ground.
I understand I won't win any races with it, but it will out accelerate any cruiser bike from a stop ( they may be faster in a longer distance), but any legal speed limits and more is no problem for the TMAX.
The people that make fun of and cut down the TMAX never rode one.
Its the future of motorcycles, its just we got there before anybody else, in less than 5 years you will see Harley Davidson scooters

·
Registered
887 Posts
Why are scooter riders so defensive? I have nothing against scooters and in fact drove a honda elite 50 for two years but it feels like a lot of scooter folks have something to prove. If you like your scooter, great. If you don't, try something else. It just comes off as harpy to me, "Look at me, I ride a scooter and I'm damn proud! What!?! you want to say something? I thought not!" Maybe I'm reading too much into things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went from scooter to scooter to scooter. I then decided to go motorcycle. I wanted a sport tourer but my wife was after a cruiser. Compromise... Well, I sold the cruiser. It took away ALL the fun.
Now I have an '09 Tmax. This thing is great. I can break any speed limit in America, I can turn on a dime and I can put stuff under the seat. All at over 50 mpg. Glad to be back scooting again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. I just got a Tmax 2weeks ago, and i already reached the 600 mile mark. I kno its time to change the oil according to the manual, but the change oil light has not come on. Do you kno if it just comes on once then dissapears, or does it stay on untill it is reseted? I would apreciate some info on this matter.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
I kno its time to change the oil according to the manual, but the change oil light has not come on.
The "change oil light" is programmed for your future "normal" change intervals.
It doesn't "know" about the first 600 mile change.
Follow the manual and don't worry about the light.

I suspect it stays on until reset. The book should tell you that too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The "change oil light" is programmed for your future "normal" change intervals.It doesn't "know" about the first 600 mile change.Follow the manual and don't worry about the light.I suspect it stays on until reset. The book should tell you that too.
Thanks Easy Rider. I will change the oil & filter then reset the oil change counter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Question for all you proud Tmax owners. I have now put 750 miles on my new Tmax. The owners manual says not to rev the engine beyond 6000 rpm's, and for the most part I have, but its dam hard to restrain myself! Now, is going a bit above 6000rpm's really harmfull? Or is it a precautionary mesure from yamaha? The amount of rpm's that I went over was 500, so i reved it to 6500rpm's for a verry short time, and it felt great, but I will restrain myself. I dont want to hert the engine. I just wana kno how dangereous it is to go above the said rpm at this millage.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You should follow the manual during the break in period. I don't remember all of the issues associated with not but it has something to do with the rings not seating right and problems with the cylinder walls, it basically ends up causing blow by later in the bikes life. You can get lower compression, gas in the oil and other stuff. Then again, there are many different opinions on break in, some people think you should do it hard by high reving the engine really early on. My only opinion is that oil changes are highly important during this period. I changed my oil when I first got my new bike home at 50 miles. Then again at 500 miles and then 1500 then 3000 and did 1500 mile changes after that though that is usually overkill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks man. I have kept my Max below the 6000rpm range, and i will follow your lead in changing the oil sooner than what the manual indicates. It mite be over kill, but im sure it will extend the longetivity of the engine, and the Tmax is worth the extra pampering. Qwick question, would replacing the air filter with a K&N unit worth it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Easy, and Taster. I will follow your advice and not mess with the air filter. It does make scence that if I mess with the air filter im gona have to mess with the exhaust, and then with the fuel maping and so on, and like you stated, I do not whant to get that snowball roling. Thanks for the advice guys. By the way I cant believe the cornering capabitlity of the Tmax! It leans and takes sharp corners with eas & confidence something one would expect from a street bike, but not from a scooter! But then again the Tmax is much more than just a scooter, and havent yet pushed it to its limits! I kno it sounds like im braging, but I am so content with this scoot I just cant help it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello fellow riders! I got another question regarding aftermarket parts for the Tmax. I was looking at the aftermarket exhausts, in specific the yoshimura R-77 complete system. I would like too add this or another similar exhaust system mainly for a more agresive exhaust note. My question is this, first, would adding any aftermarket exauhst system require other modifications like opening the intake or messing with the fuel map? Second, will it add any or reduce any significant power with out any further modifications? Third, does any body have a recomindation on a brand of exhaust system?

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
My question is this, first, would adding any aftermarket exauhst system require other modifications like opening the intake or messing with the fuel map? Second, will it add any or reduce any significant power with out any further modifications? Third, does any body have a recomindation on a brand of exhaust system?
It is a SCOOTER for heaven sake. Make it louder and it will..........STILL be a scooter. :whistle:

You had better check of the availability of compatible FI controllers before you start changing things.
It's likely that the stock controller is NOT adjustable and if your pipe change adversely affects performance......as it very well could......you might be stuck between a rock and a hardplace if you can't change the mix to compensate.

A change in the intake is NEVER required.

Maybe you should search for a forum specific to that scoot.
I don't think you will find many riders who are into "modding".

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
"It is a SCOOTER for heaven sake. Make it louder and it will..........STILL be a scooter" hey if he wants to tweak a scooter more power to him.

yoshimura makes something for that scooter. i'd check w/ them as far as requirements. i'd be willing to be you can get away w/ just the exhaust w/o anything else. that being said powercommander makes a kit for it. cobra does not.
Yoshimura R&D - 2009
Yamaha T Max 500 22-028: Powercommander Downloads, Maps, Installation Guides, Accessories and Product Purchases
YA-5001 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

as far as performance. even if you add 10% your not going to see much difference when your starting at 40hp. not sure i'd spend the $900 to get a pc, k&n and new pipe. but if i was going to spend 500 on a pipe i'd spend the other 400 and do it right.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info Tester, and Easy.. the Tmax is much more than a scooter! It really is a 500cc sport bike in scooterish atire!I have done its initial 600mi service, and i have now reached the 1000mi mark, and the engine feels stronger & revs faster than when it had 600mi. I did give it a couple of short full throtle runs After I hit the 600mi mark, and felt some what disapointed. The engine felt as if was boged down, and would not spin up as i expected as it took longer than i expected too reach highway cruising speed of 75mph. I really hoped that it would lossen up after the 1000 mark. Today i hoped on the freeway, I craked the throtle half way as I got on the onramp, the engine came alive!A big grin developed on my face imidiatly. The engine spun up like never before as it charged down the onramp with authority! It actually cought me by suprise as the acceleration threw my butt into the butt rest and snaped my neck bak a bit. It is now exactly what i expected from Yamaha's sportbike engineers and designers which are clearly the creators of the Tmax, and not scooter engineers. Now I still plan on adding an after market exhaust later down the road, but in year or so I will be adding a racing variator. Other Tmax owners that have added one say that it is the best performance upgrade, and its less expensive than a complete exhaust system. Let me kno if any one has heard different, or if you agree. Power to the Tmax.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.