Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting to run out of options on what I need to do with this thing. I’ve been working on it all summer with no success. I’ve learned a lot by doing all the above work myself, but I’m wondering what I may be missing here.

I started working on the bike when it started having issues starting. My first fix was to replace the starter clutch, which took me some time to figure out but it worked. The bike would start after this fix.
While I was working on it, I decided to replace the starter and the starter relay. The bike would start after this fix.

I then noticed an issue with the clutch, the clutch handle was spongy and would not engage. I replaced the clutch cable and eventually the actual clutch plates and the clutch still doesn't engage but it is in neutral and will no longer start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brant
2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100

·
Registered
196 Posts
i assume it turns over but won't fire. make sure the battery is fully charged. pull the plug wire and check for spark.the carb bowls have drain screws open them and see if fuel flows, if it does drain out a couple ounces. some people keep the idle low, turn the screw in a half to 3/4th turn. DO NOT GIVE IT ANY THROTTLE WHEN STARTING that will wreck the starter clutch...loosen the adjuster at the clutch lever then at the engine end of the cable loosen the clutch rod lock nut and back the rod out until there is play. lightly turn in til light resistance is felt, back off a quarter turn then adjust the lever so there is an 8th inch of play... i would clean the carbs, pull the pilot jets and blow out the passages with cleaner, i've always used carb cleaner but some warn against it. pull the mixture screws and main jet, blow out all passages, check for loose screws.you can try starting fluid in the aircleaner passage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I will start working on these tomorrow and see where it takes me and update the thread.
I have new spark plugs that I will put in as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bramey you might check the clutch control. If you've been messin with the clutch, you might have disconnected or knocked out of alignment the clutch starter cut out. ( if it has one )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts