Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy's V Star with 2K miles on it sat for 5 years, I'm trying to get it running for him. I am lifetime mechanic (cars/trucks) and have extensive HD and Triumph experience but no Japanese motorcycle. Cleaned out fuel tank, replaced petcock, rebuilt both carbs, new spark plugs, new battery, etc. Does now run but horribly. Front Cyl does not want to fire - has spark and has compression (not high compression - about 75lbs dry and does come up to about 100 when wet; rear cyl which is firing has a bit more but not a lot). I have noticed that when cranking and airbox removed you can feel "air" (compression) coming up out of rear carb venturi but nothing coming out of front carb (again, rear cyl firs and bike somewhat does run on this single cyl). Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Wonder if the valves are stuck or carboned up enough to lower compression and not seal correctly. Sitting for 5 years will cause all sorts of problems. I would start with some good quality carb cleaner and leave it as long as possible. Also is there some sort of valve cleaning additive that could be run through....leaving for as long as possible again. May be worth removing the exhaust system and checking that out too.....could be an animal nest or just clogged up with 5 years worth of crap.....check the air filter for the same too.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts