Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that simply having experience in riding a bicycle will help me to ride a motorbike. I've just read about tips that you should know before starting to ride a motorcycle.
" Being experienced with the bicycle doesn't make you experienced with a motorcycle (they are both 2 wheels but are handled very different, mainly because of the ride's weight and speed). I underestimated the bike's weight and leaned too much while standing still, damn is it heavy. Also pushing the bike for the first time... when I looked at other people it seemed so easy but it is darn heavy.
However, being a bicycle rider, I somewhat knew what kind of stuff not to do, or at least to watch out for, while riding on 2 wheels. E.g. jamming the front brakes too hard, turning the handle too much, not leaning enough in a turn... that kind of stuff.
I'm not sure if it's because of my cycling experience but I found out keeping straight and balanced very easy. I believe this is because of the motorcycle's weight and speed/traction and has nothing to do with my previous bicycle riding. I might or might not be wrong, though. "
I'm interested in what people think about this. And whether you remember your first time on a bicycle/motorcycle. Does everybody was riding a bicycle first?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I rode a bicycle years before riding my first motorcycle and found the experience gained not related at all other than balance. Leaning on a motorcycle takes so much more intention than on a bicycle you have to plan your entrance and exit into a corner and the controls are totally alien to bicycle riding...IMO.

I suppose your awareness may be more developed but to be honest riding a bicycle for me was so long ago and I don't remember being that concerned about other road users.... and it was back when there were far fewer vehicles on the road.

Each to their own though and anyone who thinks they are a better rider for having experienced bicycle riding well.... bless em! ;)

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jeezo-Peezo ! .

First bicycle ride ? that was about 1962 and I crashed it =:cool: .

If you're serious about safety, look into MSF training, it's not very $pendy and takes two weeks or so .

Long ago I wanted my then 13 year old son to be a safe rider so instead of me teaching him , I sent him to the MSF course, he rides better, safer and much faster than I ever did .

OBTW : WELCOME NEWBIE ! .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts